Send us a suggestion!

Bridge Day 2014 - West Virginia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kuenn, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Kuenn

Kuenn

Bridge Day is the largest extreme sports event in the world and is held on the third Saturday in October every year in Fayette County, West Virginia; including hundreds of BASE jumpers, rappellers and upwards of 80,000 spectators.

Here is a short video created by a member of the VBATS team this year. One of about 15 teams that rappel from the cat walk underneath the bridge, ~800'. Look closely and you might see a tandem rappel...what some would call "stunt" rappelling.

Enjoy

Mountaineer likes this.
  2. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

Sweet zippin' fools! That's gotta be a fun ride. How many times did you do it?

P.S. Bridge looks like a helo rotor. Got dizzy. Caver coil strikes again! :)
    Kuenn likes this.
  3. Kuenn

Kuenn

I wasn't able to go this year due to prior commitments :argh: that's 2 years in a row now. I'm seriously suffering from "sweet zippin' fool" withdrawals.

The VBATS have two teams at BD, they have been going for the past 15 years, or so. Although I didn't make it, my rope did, but it wasn't the whirling dervish rope as seen in the video - I don't allow caver's coil on my long ropes.

Our buddy, Harold, is the team lead for VBATS-2, he managed to get in 6 rides! A new record, considering the round-trip with bus ride to the top and press through the crowd, takes about an hour.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

Heck! They don't have a rope rigged for climbing? You know, to make it easier to get multiple laps in.

Tom
    Kuenn likes this.
  5. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

Yeah, was wondering about that - ARE there any ascent ropes?
  6. Kuenn

Kuenn

Ascent ropes? Are you kidding me??
    :happy:
    Actually...there are two climbing ropes, #23 and #24. The gorge is V shaped with stations every 50' ish, starting at about the middle of the bridge coming back to one side. Each station has 2 ropes on either side of the catwalk - BYOR (bring your own rope). The 1st station's ropes 1 & 2 drop next to the water 850', the last station (climbing station) ropes 23 & 24 are around 675'. The bridge (and catwalk) is a steel arch bridge, 3,030 feet long. Just the walk out to the rappel stations is breath taking - 1,500'!

Sorry for the information overload - I can't help myself - it's freak'n awesome!
    So yes, you can make the return trip shorter in length. Time? Well it all depends on your climbing prowess. :wavespin:

100_2478.

DSC01364.JPG

DSC01405.JPG

A walk of a lifetime!

100_2457.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014