Send us a suggestion!

breather tube - don''t cut up your garden hose !

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by kv5476, Aug 29, 2002.

1. kv5476

kv5476 Guest

6. I like the idea of a breathing tube. The underwater shoulder > stand has a certain romantic ring to it.

including an attempt at a submerged shoulder stand. Hey, new > idea... maybe
    a 5 foot piece of tubing for breathing... hahahaha.

You guys have seen too many movies :)... water pressure, even from very low depths, pushes down so hard on our ribcage and midriff that breathing becomes hard to impossible (never actually measured it but I'd guess 2 ft when horizontal ?).

Divers inhale compressed air through their air regulator to regain the breathing balance, basically their lungs are inflated once under water.

Keep dreaming, you might hit the jackpot Cousteau never thought about - or at least sell the idea to Hollywood :) !
  2. Kris Nosack

Kris Nosack Guest

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, kv5476 wrote:
    You guys have seen too many movies :)... water pressure, even from > very low depths, pushes down so hard on our ribcage and midriff that > breathing becomes hard to impossible (never actually measured it but > I'd guess 2 ft when horizontal ?).
    Divers inhale compressed air through their air regulator to regain the > breathing balance, basically their lungs are inflated once under > water.
    Keep dreaming, you might hit the jackpot Cousteau never thought about > - or at least sell the idea to Hollywood :) !

While true, my feeling is you can go deeper than 2 feet. As a teenager I once went to the bottom of the deep end of my grandparents pool while breathing through an ordinary garden hose. My fading memory says that breathing was more difficult, but possible. And I didn't stay down very long, mind you. Another problem was the hose was so long I wasn't really drawing in fresh air - just pushing the same volume of air back and forth in the hose. Essentially I was just rebreathing the same volume of air. Fortunately, your lungs don't absorb all of the oxygen in each breath so you can go a while just rebreathing the same air. So that's another problem to contend with. My guess is that a 2-3 foot long hose would work, but I'd test it out in a swimming pool first.

So could a hose, or something like a lengthened snorkel, work for canyoneering? I think, yes, but with limitations. The ideal pothole for a snorkel would be one with water just over a person's head but with an exit lip that could be exited by one persona standing on teh submerged person's shoulders. My guess is that this type of pothole is rare. Still, the snorkel may be just the trick. I must also wonder if some other pothole bypass or escape technique might workas well or better in this situation.

Fun stuff to ponder, if nothing else.

- Kris Nosack
  3. mike_dallin

mike_dallin Guest

--- In canyons@y..., Kris Nosack <kn@x> wrote: > So could a hose, or something like a lengthened snorkel, work for > canyoneering? I think, yes, but with limitations. The ideal

Snorkel? Extra weight. Just grab the blow tube from your bolt kit.

> Still, the snorkel may be just the trick. I must also wonder if some > other pothole bypass or escape technique might workas well or better in > this situation.

A decent pogo stick will get you out of any pothole.

But the easiest method is also the lightest. Ensure your drybags are full of air and float on them. Wait for a flash flood to come and fill the pothole to its lip, and voilà, just float on out.

Mike
  4. >You guys have seen too many movies :)... water pressure, even from >very low depths, pushes down so hard on our ribcage and midriff that >breathing becomes hard to impossible (never actually measured it but >I'd guess 2 ft when horizontal ?).

>Divers inhale compressed air through their air regulator to regain the >breathing balance, basically their lungs are inflated once under >water.

>Keep dreaming, you might hit the jackpot Cousteau never thought about >- or at least sell the idea to Hollywood :) !

All too true, forgot about that. I'm both an avid diver and mechanical engineer, I should have know. If my boss saw my posting, I might get fired. However, if the depth is just above the head, a snorkel might give you the added height for a shoulder stand. Granted this may only work in a small number of pot holes, but it sure would be nice to have one if the water was just over the mouth. I'll bring mine to squeeze and let you guys know if there is any opportunity for this, probably not.

Mark
  5. llana kanka

llana kanka Guest

Kris, I want to go along and watch when you do this snorkel routine. Did anybody notice the news release last week regarding the discovery of the secret of the stickiness of gecko feet? And they were actually able to duplicate the results in a manufactured version of the microscopic foot hairs. In ten years we won't need snorkels or sticky climbing rubber, or bolts or hooks or even ropes. For that matter, we won't need canyons or rocks.

Kris Nosack wrote: On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, kv5476 wrote:
    You guys have seen too many movies :)... water pressure, even from > very low depths, pushes down so hard on our ribcage and midriff that > breathing becomes hard to impossible (never actually measured it but > I'd guess 2 ft when horizontal ?).
    Divers inhale compressed air through their air regulator to regain the > breathing balance, basically their lungs are inflated once under > water.
    Keep dreaming, you might hit the jackpot Cousteau never thought about > - or at least sell the idea to Hollywood :) !

While true, my feeling is you can go deeper than 2 feet. As a teenager I once went to the bottom of the deep end of my grandparents pool while breathing through an ordinary garden hose. My fading memory says that breathing was more difficult, but possible. And I didn't stay down very long, mind you. Another problem was the hose was so long I wasn't really drawing in fresh air - just pushing the same volume of air back and forth in the hose. Essentially I was just rebreathing the same volume of air. Fortunately, your lungs don't absorb all of the oxygen in each breath so you can go a while just rebreathing the same air. So that's another problem to contend with. My guess is that a 2-3 foot long hose would work, but I'd test it out in a swimming pool first.

So could a hose, or something like a lengthened snorkel, work for canyoneering? I think, yes, but with limitations. The ideal pothole for a snorkel would be one with water just over a person's head but with an exit lip that could be exited by one persona standing on teh submerged person's shoulders. My guess is that this type of pothole is rare. Still, the snorkel may be just the trick. I must also wonder if some other pothole bypass or escape technique might workas well or better in this situation.

- Kris Nosack

Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier. You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:

Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working?

Bombastic Bolt Debates are allowed to only a limited extent. Folks should go to the Canyoneer Group for a truly un-moderated forum. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyoneer

To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the &amp;amp;quot;Edit My Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. Press &amp;amp;quot;Save Changes&amp;amp;quot;.

WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you must visit the web site to view messages.

Your use of Groups is subject to the Terms of Service. n

Finance - Get real-time stock quotes
  6. I want a pair of shoes like this.

Charly -----Original Message----- From: llana kanka [mailto:icegydbuk@yahoo.com] Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 9:49 AM To: Yahoo Canyons Group Subject: Re: [from Canyons Group] breather tube - don't cut up your garden hose !

Kris, I want to go along and watch when you do this snorkel routine. Did anybody notice the news release last week regarding the discovery of the secret of the stickiness of gecko feet? And they were actually able to duplicate the results in a manufactured version of the microscopic foot hairs. In ten years we won't need snorkels or sticky climbing rubber, or bolts or hooks or even ropes. For that matter, we won't need canyons or rocks.

Kris Nosack wrote: On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, kv5476 wrote: > > You guys have seen too many movies :)... water pressure, even from > very low depths, pushes down so hard on our ribcage and midriff that > breathing becomes hard to impossible (never actually measured it but > I'd guess 2 ft when horizontal ?). > > Divers inhale compressed air through their air regulator to regain the > breathing balance, basically their lungs are inflated once under > water. > > Keep dreaming, you might hit the jackpot Cousteau never thought about > - or at least sell the idea to Hollywood :) !

- Kris Nosack

When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier. You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:

Bombastic Bolt Debates are allowed to only a limited extent. Folks should go to the Canyoneer Group for a truly un-moderated forum. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyoneer

To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the &amp;amp;quot;Edit My Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. Press &amp;amp;quot;Save Changes&amp;amp;quot;.

DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email to you each day summarizing that day's messages.

WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you must visit the web site to view messages.

Your use of Groups is subject to the Terms of Service. n

Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email to you each day summarizing that day's messages.

Your use of Groups is subject to the Terms of Service.
  7. I suppose I should read ALL the posting before I send mine out. I'm new at this. I basically repeated much of Kris's posting. As for the re-breathing of air in a tube, I guess there would be an optimal tube diameter for a given length. A smaller diameter tube would decrease the amount of air you would be re-breathing, but would also make it harder to push the air through... is this topic a dead horse now?

Mark
  8. gajslk

gajslk Guest

I'm guessing that you're going to need to lose some weight for this to work. Losing 150 to 200 pounds will probably do the trick.

--- In canyons@y..., "Charly Oliver" <coliver@t...> wrote: > I want a pair of shoes like this.
    Charly > -----Original Message----- > From: llana kanka [mailto:icegydbuk@y...]
  9. mike_dallin

mike_dallin Guest

--- In canyons@y..., llana kanka <icegydbuk@y...> wrote: >of the microscopic foot hairs. In ten years we won't need snorkels >or sticky climbing rubber, or bolts or hooks or even ropes. For that >matter, we won't need canyons or rocks.

Why wait ten years? Just tie slings around a whole bunch of geckos and keep them in your pack until you need a removable anchor. Or tie one to the sole of your shoe.

Much quieter than yappy dogs. And they can save you money on car insurance, too.

Mike
  10. llana kanka

llana kanka Guest

say...do you think we could get 5.10 or Nike to resole our shoes with gecko feet?

mike_dallin wrote:--- In canyons@y..., llana kanka <icegydbuk@y...> wrote: >of the microscopic foot hairs. In ten years we won't need snorkels >or sticky climbing rubber, or bolts or hooks or even ropes. For that >matter, we won't need canyons or rocks.

Why wait ten years? Just tie slings around a whole bunch of geckos and keep them in your pack until you need a removable anchor. Or tie one to the sole of your shoe.

Much quieter than yappy dogs. And they can save you money on car insurance, too.

Mike

Your use of Groups is subject to the Terms of Service. ...do you think

11. How about La Sportiva? Mark?

Charly -----Original Message----- From: llana kanka [mailto:icegydbuk@yahoo.com] Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 12:21 PM To: Yahoo Canyons Group Subject: Re: [from Canyons Group] breather tube - don't cut up your garden hose !

say...do you think we could get 5.10 or Nike to resole our shoes with gecko feet?

mike_dallin wrote:--- In canyons@y..., llana kanka <icegydbuk@y...> wrote: >of the microscopic foot hairs. In ten years we won't need snorkels >or sticky climbing rubber, or bolts or hooks or even ropes. For that >matter, we won't need canyons or rocks.

Mike

12. llana kanka

llana kanka Guest

Yeah. Mark, could you do that with feet leather from yappy geckos? We could call it 'the Yecko'. And BD could make gecko-leather cams...call 'em 'Yams' or even 'Gams'. I'm overwhelmed with the possibilities. Charly Oliver wrote:How about La Sportiva? Mark?

Charly -----Original Message----- From: llana kanka [mailto:icegydbuk@yahoo.com] Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 12:21 PM To: Yahoo Canyons Group Subject: Re: [from Canyons Group] breather tube - don't cut up your garden hose !

Mike