Send us a suggestion!

UT: Moab Bow and Arrow canyon

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by scottensign, Dec 14, 2018.

1. scottensign

scottensign

Shane recently posted a new canyon on Climb-Utah called Bow and Arrow. I was fortunate to download the beta and kmz file before it got locked behind the "circle of friends" which I don't have access to. I went to Moab this week and did some canyons with some friends and we used his beta to check this canyon out. It is an easy, short (3-4 hours) canyon with easy access right from the highway along the Colorado river. The route begins on the well-used Longbow arch trail, passing the arch, and has some nice petroglyph panels and dinosaur tracks. The canyoneering route goes off the main trail. Attached is a traced gps track if you want a copy.

There are four rappels, longest about 100 feet, mostly free hanging. That rappel is bolted, and the others have good anchors. Apparently local guides use this canyon with clients, and all the rappel stations are in great shape. There are some cool petroglyphs and dinosaur tracks near the trailnead. This is very easy, beginner friendly canyon with big views, and some nice petroglyph panels. here are a few pics:
    IMG_0271.

IMG_0249.

IMG_0253.

IMG_0276.

IMG_0281.

Attached Files:

2. Sutitan

Sutitan

Great report! Ive been looking for some new canyons in Moab as I typically drag some people out there in the spring. Ill try follow up to this in a couple months.
    scottensign likes this.
  3. MoabMan

MoabMan

It was great exploring this new canyon with you, Scott. And thanks for inviting me to Canyon Collective. -Tim

Attached Files:

• IMG_6903.
      Filename:
      IMG_6903.jpg
      File size:
      639.4 KB
      Views:
    hank moon and scottensign like this.
  4. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Just an FYI; there are many petroglyphs along the route, but the one you posted a picture of is fake. The rest are real.
    hank moon likes this.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

The big rap there does not look like a "canyon rappel". Is this a mixed canyoneering/rimaneering adventure?

Tom
  6. MoabMan

MoabMan

There are several narrow parallel slots in the canyon, at least one of which is climbable, but the rappel avoids this mess and goes off the vertical side of the canyon just below where the slots meet.
    ratagonia likes this.
  7. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Here's a photograph of that rappel that also shows the drainage (left):

rap.

Anyway, it is a canyon, but there is no slot or narrows, other than the tiny one you bypass in the left of the photo.

There are two impressive petroglyph panels in the canyon itself, and since they are out of reach of vandals, being 10-20 feet off the ground they haven't been vandalized (the ones near the highway have been heavily vandalized and the ones in the photo above are fake). That and the views are the attraction of the route since there is no slot at all to go through.

Edit:

Since the panels are out of reach without a long ladder, maybe it won't hurt to hint at their location (otherwise I probably would not). The best panels are both above (on the wall to the north) and below (on the south wall) one of the rappels (the same rappel). The one above the rappel requires a walk and can't be seen from the rappel. The one at the bottom of the same rappel is visible from the bottom of the rappel. If you don't look for them, you will walk right by them. Happy hunting.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    MoabMan likes this.
  8. MoabMan

MoabMan

This photo from Climb-Utah shows a fin separating two of the narrow slots across from the big rappel. You can bypass the rappel by climbing down the southern-most of these slots. You can also bypass the two lower rappels by continuing east down a slot rather than following the drainage to the south.

Attached Files:

• bowarrow04.
      Filename:
      bowarrow04.jpg
      File size:
      47.6 KB
      Views:
  9. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Yes. You can also bypass rappel 2 (and the rest) using a notch between the fins almost directly east of the top of rappel 2.
    MoabMan likes this.
  10. ratagonia

ratagonia

Scott - what is your evidence that the petros are modern (which I presume is what you mean by 'fake')?

Tom
  11. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Tom, because they weren't there before (I have been there many, many times). At least they didn't write over the real ones. There are real ones (though some are vandalized) a few feet east of the ones in the photo:

real.
    I don't know when the fake ones were put up, but they weren't there before and are definitely fake. The first time I saw them was yesterday and they definitely didn't exist other times I have been there.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  12. ratagonia

ratagonia

Thanks for the clarification.

Tom