Send us a suggestion!

Boundary Canyon/Pipe Spring/Kolob MIA Access Agreement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jsb4g, Jun 1, 2020.

1. jsb4g

jsb4g

Hello all, I spoke to Lawrence Featherstone, Facilities Manager for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the St George region. As you know, a portion of land for Boundary Canyon access is privately owned by the Church, and the owner requires anyone using the property to abide by the terms and conditions of a recreational license agreement. Mr. Featherstone told me that he is required to verify that any use is for recreational purposes only (e.g. not for profit). Also, a new agreement must be completed each time the property is used. He consented to me sharing his email address with canyon collective members. Mr. Featherstone's email address is: FeatherstoneL@ChurchofJesusChrist.org. Please email him directly for a copy of the form to fill out. I advised him I would share the web address of our group with him, so he will likely see the comments being made here and can communicate directly with our community, if he so chooses.

Please be respectful of the property and the license agreement process the owner wants us to follow. The Church is nice enough to allow us to use the property.

Among the activities that are prohibited under the agreement: "(i) hunt, capture, or harm any wildlife, (ii) discharge a firearm for any purpose, (iii) build, use, or maintain an open fire, (iv) possess or consume alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, or other illegal drugs, (v) use motorized off-highway or recreational vehicles, or (vi) camp on or otherwise use the Licensor’s Property between the hours of 11:00 PM and 4:00 AM."

Edit: This also affects trips down Pipe Spring Canyon and Kolob Canyon as outlined in a post below.

Thanks,

Jason
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Awesome. Thanks Jason.
  3. Jman

Jman

Thanks for posting this and being transparent with the property owner and the community and keeping a communication line with him open.

Questions: I think most people thought Boundary is 100% on BLM, so which “portion of land” crosses private property? Is it only on the MIA exit where it crosses? If so, you clarify on top that not only Boundary, but Kolob and Pipe Spring (amongst other ones ) would be affected too.

I don’t have a map with property lines designated on it so if anyone can share that, that would be good. (Is a map like that available to the public?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

http://geo.washco.utah.gov/html5Viewer/?viewer=RecordersOffice

Land around MIA Camp.
  5. Jman

Jman

Thanks Tom. That definitely clears things up a lot. I was under some wrong assumptions! Whoops.

So if I'm reading this correctly and understand from what jsb4g has been saying along with Mr. Featherstone, and just to be explicitly clear, the following:

- Pipe Spring canyon is 100% on private property. the approach, canyon, and exit (MIA). A RLA permit needs to be filled out going forward, every time.
    - Boundary Canyon, while on public land (BLM) the exit portion (MIA) is all on private property and thus a RLA permit needs to be filled out, every time.
    - Kolob Canyon, exiting through the MIA (or Kolob Creek down to the Narrows) will cross private property and a RLA permit needs to be filled out, every time.
    Mountaineer, hank moon and ratagonia like this.
  6. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

This is fantastic! Thank you Mr. Featherstone.

Let's all do our part in keeping the area pristine.
  7. Canyonero

Canyonero

I'm curious why the process is different for other church owned land, such as the North side of Little Cottonwood Canyon. Any ideas? Is it managed locally?
  8. jsb4g

jsb4g

Yes, different areas of the state are managed by different property management groups. As for why it is required in one place and not the other, I don't know. When I did some research, I did find that church policy that requires the local manage groups use a written license agreement when allowing non church use of church owned property. But it does not appear to be consistently followed.
  9. ratagonia

ratagonia

Managing the climbing area in LCC in this same way would have been a nightmare. Attempting to do so would have brought a lawsuit. Public access to that landscape for the last 70 years is easily documented, and climbers in Salt Lake were well-organized.

Tom
  10. jsb4g

jsb4g

Sounds like a solid prescriptive easement case.
  11. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

ratagonia likes this.