Send us a suggestion!

Boundary canyon conditions

Discussion in 'Utah' started by madman_lee, May 26, 2020.

1. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

Fatmans via BLM only (bypassing the park) takes 2 very adequate 4wd (preferably ATV/UTVs) for the shuttle or a very long sandy road walk after a big day.
    ratagonia likes this.
  2. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

I did it a week prior to bnwilso and the flow was more than double that and I was cold in a 4/3. I am guessing it is just a trickle of water now in Boundary itself based on the timeline of those trips.
    ratagonia likes this.
  3. jsb4g

jsb4g

Just called the Water District and was told Kolob Res is releasing at 35 CFS. She said it would remain this way until end of June and then they will re-evaluate. Darn...oh well, maybe another time.
  4. madman_lee

madman_lee

Check out my trip report. It is definetly doable with that flow

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
  5. jsb4g

jsb4g

Ummm.... your trip report indicates you did it in May, which per the Water district, was before they started releasing 35 cfs. i haven't done it before, but all of the beta I've read says anything over 10 CFS makes kolob creek hiking difficult after exiting boundary. She also said they still have some snow melt, so ground is fairly saturated. Someone else with experience at 35 cfs feel free to chime in. I found this with a quick search: http://canyoncollective.com/threads/conditions-kolob-creek-currently-has-a-bit-of-flow.25541/
  6. madman_lee

madman_lee

I called and they said kolob was being released upto 35 cfs. Same beta as you dude

7. madman_lee

madman_lee

Umm how did you not read the entire thread. You are missing out on a lot of beta.

8. jsb4g

jsb4g

Well, first of all, it would be a family trip for me with kids, so there is that. My kids are quite tough, have done a lot of intermediate level canyons, and are good climbers, but my daughter is very petite for her age. She struggles in high (3 ft deep), fast moving water.

I specifically asked the Water District rep when they started releasing water, and she said it was in June and that they were not releasing any water in May. I realize that Bruce says they were releasing 35 CFS when he went in May, and I see the photos he posted, but I am just telling you what I was told when I called today. I also know there was still a lot of snow melt in mid-late May (based on my having been higher up in the drainage area in that time frame). I am not sure if Bruce called or if he was estimating based on what he saw when he went. I'll text him now to ask.

As far as Beta specific to Boundary Canyon, I am relying on the following:

https://www.canyoneeringusa.com/zion/technical/boundary Hiking in Kolob Canyon with more than 10 cfs, even just to the MIA exit, can be challenging and slow; but there are no technical obstacles so it is certainly possible.

http://www.bluugnome.com/cyn_route/zion_boundary/zion_boundary.aspx Flows up around 10 to 15 CFS will make the trek from Boundary to the MIA Exit a little slower as you navigate the swift water.

https://www.roadtripryan.com/go/t/utah/zion/boundary-canyon They should be releasing less than 5 CFS from Kolob, or the exit from Boundary down Kolob to the MIA may be difficult and dangerous.

I am sure someone will chime in shortly with another opinion.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  9. ratagonia

ratagonia

There is a difference between "what they are releasing" and how much is "going down the canyon that we know of"...

Complicated by there is no gauge, it is all eyeballed.

In May, they were likely not releasing anything because there was 35 cfs going over the dam... well, spillway. So yes, you are both "right"ish.

(although, when it is going over the dam, they don't usually provide a number)

Tom
  10. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

They said they were releasing 35 cfs in May and unknown spillover the day before we went (prior to Bruce).

I “eyeballed” what I estimated to be 40-50 cfs (adding in Oak creek and that’s consistent with a 35 cfs release.
  11. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

Driving up and looking at where it drops into the canyon from the Kolob Terrace RD is the best bet for an updated flow.
  12. jsb4g

jsb4g

Thanks, Tom. Given who I was going with (my kids), it is not worth the risk for me. The nice lady from the water district said they are releasing 35 cfs in addition to snow melt that was still flowing. She said the creek was very high right now. I inferred from this that not much flow was being lost to a low water table. If someone else goes in the next day or two and learns different, let me know. I'm also interested in knowing how much of the information being shared (whether it be yours/Luke/Ryan's websites or the Water District) pertaining to this area is "erring on the side of caution."
  13. jsb4g

jsb4g

Thanks. With this info combined with Bruce's pics here and on his FB page, it confirms my concerns about going with my kids. I am sure my wife and I could manage without our kids, but that isn't in the cards right now. Edit: Definitely an inconsistency between what the Water District told me today and what is being reported here. And because of that and other reasons, I am always going to check the creek crossing as you suggest in your followup post before descending any canyons up there.
  14. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

I wouldn’t force kids to hike up the MIA in 90 degree weather + the road back to the car. Ruins the experience for youth.
  15. jsb4g

jsb4g

90 degrees and 2200 feet isn't that difficult for my family. We've done lots climbs like that in the heat and for some reason, that doesn't seem to have the deterrent effect that you have presumed. Do you have kids?

That said, highs are upper 70ies, give or take a few degrees, and breezy this weekend up there per spot forecast NWS. https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-112.99271106719974&lat=37.39818719948815#.XuQjtUVKiUk

High water flow is the issue for them, at least for one of them, and maybe both.
  16. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

I do not have kids. That is awesome if they are motivated to hike/scramble. Most kids I have been out with I shot for “best bang for buck” but typically they are friends’ kids that may do a few canyons before they are older teens/young adults (which I am guessing is different than your kids situation).

Only said 90 Degree because a couple days ago I was at the W Rim TH and it was 87 degrees.

I hate the heat. I am glad to see it cooling down.
  17. jsb4g

jsb4g

We are definitely not in the "few canyons" before they are older teens category. We do a lot of canyons and a fair amount of backpacking.
    ratagonia and CRNPRES like this.
  18. 2065toyota

2065toyota

6/14/20
    Low water flow. Some expsosure to cold water especially feet. Rain jacket and vest recommended.

I wasn't able to go but came from someone in the group
    darhawk and Yellow Dart like this.
  19. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Also from mid-March to mid-May they were doing maintenance on the 6' pipe (the one from the Virgin Dam to Sand Hollow) about halfway between Hurricane and the dam. Un-earthed it, major patchwork in two spots... was really interesting seeing the work progress over those 2 months.

Not that anyone who isn't local would care, but FWIW, currently the Virgin through La Verkin is at its baseline low-flow; so all of it is going through the pipe.
  20. TroyHorse

TroyHorse

Anyone have updated conditions for Boundary? I assume bone dry with minimal flow down Kolob creek?