Send us a suggestion!

Boundary and out the Narrows July 4th weekend?

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by Scott Patterson, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Is anyone up for a down Boundary and out the Narrows trip over the July 4th weekend?
    ScottM and Ronnie Winn like this.
  2. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Daytrip or camp?
  3. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

It would be camping for sure. The Zion Narrows is such a great place to camp, much better than in the surrounding desert!
  4. Yellow Dart

Keep me posted. I would be interested in doing the slot and parting ways at MIA.
    Ronnie Winn and ScottM like this.
  5. ScottM

ScottM Looking for a canyon, you got one?

Anyone have a specific day in mind?
  6. Ronnie Winn

Ronnie Winn

Would love to join you again Scott.
    Boundary was MOST excellent 3 weeks ago. Exited via MIA in sloshy drizzle. Fun Fun Fun.
    Permit for camping in the Narrows?
  7. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Saturday or Sunday would work for me, but the dynamics of the trip have changed a little. Now, I have a group of 5 and they don't want to do an overnighter.

Two of us are very experienced and three of us are moderately experienced.

I would consider Boundary Canyon, but I'm not sure if you'd want us along or not. A group of 8 total may move slow (?)

There are usually plenty available, but I may change to a day trip.
  8. Yellow Dart

Narrows camping available on the 4th of July weekend? Not so sure on that one sir.

As for pace with 8 people: that's a lot of backs - everyone carry's a rope. Keep the people up front stacked with full rope bags, and you'll never have a choke point. Also, if every rap is down a double line, knot the top and clip it to the anchor; so that while one person is rapping single, the next person is setting up their own belay device.
  9. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I have never had a problem before (though there's always a first) since the permit would be obtained a full day in advance.
  10. Yellow Dart

Scott Patterson, post: 99348, member: 340"]I have never had a problem before

Maybe if you requested to camp in Kolob overnight, because then you're not using one of the Narrows campsites?

Also, exiting via the Narrows, Kolob is beyond Big Springs, which means you'd need a Narrows hiking permit as well, which will be hard to attain on a summer holiday weekend. As I mentioned in my Full Right Fork TR, when they told me Kolob was still closed, I tried to pivot to Checkerboard, but was unable, as I would have also needed a Narrows hiking permit, which there were none of. Food for thought
  11. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Maybe not. Canyon permits can be issued up to a day in advance. Two or three day trips down Kolob have an advantage over "normal" Narrows hikers.

Therefore, if I want to do a Saturday through Monday Boundary-Kolob-Narrows, I can pick up my permit on Friday or Saturday morning for the trip through the Narrows on Monday. "Normal" Narrows hikers can't pick up their permit for a Monday trip until Sunday. By then I would already have my permit. Deep Creek and Kolob users are at an advantage in this regard.

Usually it's not a problem to get the Narrows permit (though maybe someone else has had a different experience?). The problem is getting the permit for Kolob itself.

Of course if anyone else has had a different experience, it would be good to know about it!
    Anna likes this.
  12. Yellow Dart

13. gajslk

gajslk

I've gone with as many as seven and four ropes were enough to keep us moving rapidly. That was in Mystery, so all the raps save two were single rope affairs.

Gordon
    Rapterman likes this.
  14. Yellow Dart

With all this rain, maybe we'll be lucky enough to have flow in Boundary. ^_^

Like dis, 5/29/16

13350282_781524442306_856380790069606092_o.
    Rapterman likes this.
  15. 2065toyota

2065toyota

I wouldn't hesitate taking 8 or even more through boundary, the more the merrier. Take a couple extra ropes. I actually really enjoy big groups in canyons. Good bonding and socializing. Not like it's a race or anything.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  16. Ronnie Winn

Ronnie Winn

Only time It has been a race is if being chased by a bear or a Canyon Ape...!
    Let me know what y'all do if you want company. I will be heading south tonight.
  17. Yellow Dart

I won't be camping, but would like to meet up; also, I have a +1.

I live in La Verkin, so timing doesn't really matter to me as it's all very convenient. But with traversable light til 10pm, no need to get going all that early. Meet WR TH at 10? Earlier? Later? I'm highly flexible.
  18. Ronnie Winn

Ronnie Winn

I'm game for Boundary (or Kolob, Imlay, Heaps, or whatever permits might be available in the morning.
    Scott- let me know your plans.
    Yellow Dart- I will honk tonight when I go through town.
    435-823-7150
  19. Rapterman

Rapterman

Yellow Dart likes this.
  20. Yellow Dart