Send us a suggestion!

Book~Sandstone Spine, David Roberts

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by davewyo1, Sep 3, 2007.

1. davewyo1

davewyo1 Guest

2. tom

tom Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "davewyo1" <davewyo1@...> wrote: > Roberts new book about a traverse of Comb Ridge: > http://tinyurl.com/2m3ln7

An excellent book if you like personality conflicts between hiking partners... "which way should we go?"... "I think we should go this way"...."Well I think we should go this way"....etc. etc. If you can get past the drama it is an interesting narrative about a beautiful place. I recommend reading it, but not buying it!

-tom (w)
  3. Kerry

Kerry Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "davewyo1" <davewyo1@...> wrote:
    Roberts new book about a traverse of Comb Ridge: > http://tinyurl.com/2m3ln7
    Dave >

I have read the book and did enjoy it. The volume and number of ruins along the Chinle River was interessting to me. I have been there before for a day trip and saw some, but not as many as the author revealed. As mentioned also, I grew tired of hearing the author's petty complaints about the "which way should we go" tiff the hikers seemed to have all the time. Yet, being together for so long a trek, different points of view would be expected. Overall, I found it an enjoyable read.

Kerry
  4. adrians33

adrians33 Guest

I bought the book last year and ended up returning it to B&N. I thought it was a boring book about an exciting topic. He goes into much greater detail about hiking partner anxiety than he does describing the cool places they find.
  5. restrac2000

restrac2000 Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adrians33" <adrians33@...> wrote:
    I bought the book last year and ended up returning it to B&N. I thought > it was a boring book about an exciting topic. He goes into much > greater detail about hiking partner anxiety than he does describing the > cool places they find. >

I always thought that was one of the greatest aspects of Robert's writing style. He links the interpersonal relationships with the landscape. Roberts also has the style of not simply divulging "secrets" in a direct manner, he has a different formula. Introspection is a classic component of American nature writing, possibly one of the greatest factors of its depth.

Not his best book, but definitely worth reading. Missing SE Utah as I write.

Youth
  6. dfrankenbach

dfrankenbach Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "restrac2000" <Happyfeet00@...> wrote: > I always thought that was one of the greatest aspects of Robert's > writing style. He links the interpersonal relationships with the > landscape. Roberts also has the style of not simply divulging > "secrets" in a direct manner, he has a different formula. > Introspection is a classic component of American nature writing, > possibly one of the greatest factors of its depth.
    Not his best book, but definitely worth reading. Missing SE Utah as I > write.
    Youth >

I agree with Youth's summary. I think Robert's book In Search of the Old Ones is much better, especially if you're interested in reading about the Anasazi.