Send us a suggestion!

book review

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pofr, Feb 7, 2016.

1. pofr

pofr

While this is a poor excuse for a trip report, it's about as much contribution as I've been able to make for a while. Especially in February. I just read The Proper Edge of the Sky (E. Geary) and I think many folks here might find at least parts of it interesting. It's not new, published 1992, but I look for this kind of stuff and hadn't come across this book before. Discussion of the high plateau country of southern/central Utah. Although certainly not preachy, it's a little heavy on the history of white settlement in the area. But it also has quite a bit of geography, quotes Powell, Stegner, and especially Dutton at length, and betrays an obvious affection for the region. Chapters 8, 9, and 10--dealing with the Boulder, Escalante, and Kaibab/Arizona strip areas, respectively--were the most engaging for me, and one passage examines the differences between visiting a place and making a living there. And then there's the one rather interesting reference from the 1950's to a clan still very much in the news. Might give it a chance if you see it in the library...
    Cheers