Send us a suggestion!

Book review- Searching for Tau Canyon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ram, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Ram

Ram

Harvey Halpern, long time canyoneer and legend, is even more incompetent than I, in the cyber world. Thus he made a request for me to post his book review.

"This is a great new book by Pat Morrow (whom I’ve corresponded with) about doing technical slots in the mid 70’s. I would love to give a shout out/review on the canyon collective but don’t know how to…"

Customer Review
    5.0 out of 5 starsEssential reading for canyoneers
    ByHarvey Halpernon June 29, 2018
    Verified Purchase
    As a long time member of the canyoneering community I was thrilled to read this fabulous book. I first came across the authors when they did an article on slot canyons for Audubon magazine back in the 1970's, and that got me interested in exploring this unusual geography. The authors have captured exactly what it was like to be on the cutting edge of exploring this unique ecosystem. This work will reside right next to Tad Nichols "Glen Canyon: Images of a Lost World", Ed Abbey's "Desert Solitaire" and Steve Allen's guide books as THE essential works that need to be on every canyoneer's bookshelf.
  2. Bogie

Bogie

Searching for TAO CANYON

I have to thank Ram for his recommend. Contemporaneously exploring canyons in the 70’s, I am a little saddened that I never ran into those TAO folks. My pictures are not nearly the quality of their 40 year old Kodachromes, but my memories are still there. They just needed a little head jog and this book is it. When I read about fun hogging, VW car repair, examining aerial photos, fly over’s, kaleidoscope canyons, having time but no money, Art’s non-disclosure rule, canyon spirits, the joys of 2WD travel, Jumars & brake bars, the apprehension of unknowns, the reservoir drowning Glen Canyon, and free form desert exploring, it refreshed some of what I had misplaced while seeking my 3 letter canyon.

Along with the beautiful pictures, it reads like I would like to write, while rendering a good description of what was, what is, and what will be, thanks to people in the Canyon Collective and other groups.

The 70’s were a good time for “Being there.” :) A nice book.
    Dan Ransom, stefan, Kuenn and 3 others like this.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

Okay okay! I'm in!!!

Tom
    Ram and Rapterman like this.
  4. Rapterman

Rapterman

:D got my copy!
  5. John Diener

John Diener

Got it today and finished it a few hours later... and have leafed through the pictures multiple times since. This book will definitely reside on my coffee table for a while. A must for CP canyoneers who love the aesthetics of CP slots, and the magical sense of adventure they can provide. I find it interesting that here was yet another group from the 70s and 80s that apparently did not cross paths with others (e.g. the Turville/Bogart/Hall/etc. group, or the Steve Allen group, or ?). I wonder how many others were out there?
    -john
    mattwilliams, Ram and ratagonia like this.
  6. Chris Hood

Chris Hood

Ram-these are the same guys that wrote a 1982 article for Equinox magazine, covering their explorations. I think I may have sent you a copy back in paleolithic times (early middle Canyons Group period). I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out where the mystery "chain of Music Temples" canyon was located. An interesting insight into the earlier period of exploration of those slots. Will have to track down the book.
    John Diener, mattwilliams and Ram like this.
  7. Bogie

Bogie

Some points of clarification. There was never a Turville/Bogart/Hall group. There was a Turville/Bogart group, a Bogart/Hall group and a Bogart/Solo non-group. Never all three together and never saw another group doing what we were doing. The largest group I was ever a part of was 3.
    Ram, Taylor, John Diener and 2 others like this.
  8. VillainousTurtle

VillainousTurtle

I will pick this up soon. Thanks for telling us all about it, looks excellent.
  9. VillainousTurtle

VillainousTurtle

I ended up buying it and reading it in one sitting. It was a great book. Sort of depressing to read about a time before the desert was just a backdrop for the hordes to snap an Instagram selfie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ram likes this.