Send us a suggestion!

Bomb Door vs Chockstone Rappel in Zero Gravity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derrick Snider, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Derrick Snider

Derrick Snider Avid Landscape Photo Ninja

So, I was under the (apparantly mistaken) impression that people were getting stuck in the narrow "bomb door" crack at the end of Zero Gravity, but from another post I read it appears that they are getting stuck after going over the chockstone instead?

I know damn well I am too large to do the "bomb door" so I am trying to get as much info on going over the chockstone as I can.

Can anyone elaborate on this? I have a buddy who wants me to do ZG with him soon, and I am just trying to wrap my brain around how people are getting stuck, so I can avoid any issues...

I have watched the video and read the info about this canyon that Climb Utah/Circle Of Friends has on their page, and the canyon looks pretty straightforward up until that final obstacle.... any elaboration on the chockstone/descent would be appreciated...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Iceaxe

Iceaxe

You are still confused as canyoneers have become stuck using both the high road and low road options. I also just updated the Climb-Utah webpage to try and clear up any confusion. If this still leaves you with questions let me know.

From updated Climb-Utah.com:
    After the hallway swim the canyon opens up slightly one more time and than pinches down for the exit. As you near the exit you will note a large chokestone wedged between the canyon walls. The sooner you recognize the exit and chokestone the easier it is to chimney to the top of the chokestone, which is the best place to be.

From the top of the exit chokestone you can survey the final obstacles and make a couple of important decisions. Here is how it works out. Skinny canyoneers can squeeze down behind the exit chokestone, into a narrow slot, and easily downclimb into the exit pool better known as the 5th swim. This is the best method, provided you don't get stuck. Be honest about your diet as this option is really only suitable for smurf sized canyoneers.

Warning: The squeeze under the chokestone is much narrower than it appears. More than one canyoneer has become wedged in this squeeze and required rescue. If you have any doubt about the squeeze you will want to go over the top of the chokestone and rappel out of the bomb bay. I am 6' tall, weight 180 pounds, and I always take the high road. Size is not an issue with this slot canyon provided you take the high road to exit. You have been warned!

Large frame canyoneers must climb over the front of the exit chokestone until they can find a place wide enough to fit through and reach the canyon floor. The problem with going over the top is you squeeze through a narrow section and drop out of what climbers call a bomb bay. There is currently a bolt located above the chokestone which makes protecting this option much easier then in years past. If in doubt about your size this is the recommended option. Most canyoneers will want to set up a short rappel using the bolt as an anchor, climb out the slot until you are positive you will fit through the narrow gap and drop through the bomb bay. If you have a skinny canyoneer that took the low road spot you from below it makes things easier.

Warning: Do not attempt to drop through the bomb bay to early. More than one canyoneer has required rescue by becoming wedged in this slot by not stemming out far enough before attempting to drop through the bomb bay. You have been warned!

After everyone has defeated the exit chokestone and bombay obstacle you can easily downclimb into the exit pool.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

The term is Bomb Bay Door or Bomb Bay. When a WWII era bomber opens the bomb bay doors and releases the bombs, they fall free. This is the sensation of having a bomb bay below you when climbing; that you will be released and fall freely (until you hit something).

A Bomb Door would be a door on a bomb, as seen in the movies, so as the clock goes to zero you can clip the red wire... NO NO THE YELLOW WIRE!!!!

T
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Rapterman and Derrick Snider like this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

It would be a help, Derrick, if you could take a bunch of pictures of the current bolt situation in ZG. I think it is murky as to what bolts are where, in there. Thanks.

T
    Derrick Snider likes this.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

Thank you for using the spelling "Chockstone", which is the long-standing word for describing a stone chocked into a crack. I think the term Chokestone comes to canyoneering from a certain Mr. K, although to be consistent, he should use "chockstone/chokestone". So yeah, try to grab some fotos of the bolt & hanger & RL/QL while you are there, please.

Tom
  6. hattmalpin

hattmalpin

Did the canyon last Sunday (after the most recent rescue). There's a single bolt above above the tightest section of the lower route. The bolt is maybe 8 feet up-canyon from the chockstone in question. The bolt closer to the chockstone has been removed.

You can still rappel from the new bolt, but you'll have to stem out aways. Don't lower yourself right over the chockstone or you'll find yourself in the tightest part of the bomb bay. You'll want to stem out a little past the chockstone and then downclimb.

The pool below might still be soapy form the rescue, so bring your pots and pans.
    Derrick Snider, Kuenn and ratagonia like this.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

It seems like if you rap from the new bolt, you might have trouble pulling the rope if it sticks in one of the chockstone side grooves. Maybe?

T
  8. hattmalpin

hattmalpin

Ours pulled just fine, but I could see that being an issue since you have to pull a lot more rope over the chockstone.
  9. Canyonero

Canyonero

Perfect for washing your rope. We should dump more soap in potholes. :)
  10. Steve Kugath

Steve Kugath

Apologies for referring to "Chockstones" as "Chokestones" in a previous post about Zero G.
    ratagonia and Derrick Snider like this.
  11. Derrick Snider

Ok, I will still take photos if we end up doing ZG! Thanks for all of the help, and it makes sense in my head now..

Iceaxe likes this.
  12. Derrick Snider

DEF doing Zero G tomorrow and will post photos

Tom Collins and Iceaxe like this.