Send us a suggestion!

Bolts on Angels Landing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mountaineer, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

Strange, I realize. I've done most of the published Zion canyons, a few of them multiple times. However, this past weekend I did Angels Landing for the first time. Neat hike. Lots of people, with varying skill and confidence.

I noticed two separate sets of bolts on top. Climbing route or history/why/use?

bolts 2.
  2. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Probably from SAR efforts to pluck some unlucky person.

There's an immense amount of routes all around Angel's Landing. Those anchors you posted a pic of look like someone going top down for someone.

Kind of a funny deal...you avoid fixed anchors to do a canyon, and, if/when you get hurt, SAR will come in with a chopper and a crew, and, a power drill. Voila...fixed anchors-a-go-go.

Kinda ups the ante a bit, methinks. The maintaining of a "bolt free" canyon environment only works if no one gets hurt...to an extent. Anyhoo, fun to ponder...
    Jman and Mountaineer like this.
  3. Boo

Boo

Mountaineer....Those bolts are some that I installed maybe 3 years ago. There were two climbers that had taken separate falls while climbing the NE Buttress on Angels Landing and were off route. We installed them for anchors to set up a shared system lower from the top to pick them off and then continue the lower all the way to the bottom. We used 2 separate set ups. Both of which included each 1- 400M rope + a 90M rope tied together. We also used this anchor for a similar scenario to recover the body of my best friend, Lyle, a little over a year and half ago on the same route :-(. This route, NE Buttress has seen increased activity over recent years. One of my friends, Arturo, who was with Lyle when he took his fatal 40' fall went back and free soloed NE Buttress a few weeks later if you care to watch his home video? At about 32 minutes Arturo is at the ledge upon which my good friend Lyle died :-(, He lives on now! :)

Bo
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  4. Mountaineer

Thanks Bo for the information. I'm sorry for your loss, Lyle.

400 + 90? That is a really long rap. Wow.
  5. Kevin

Kevin

Damn, sweating bullets just watching that video. Sorry for your loss.
  6. Mountaineer

Cool video. Arturo makes it look easy, but don't underestimate the route. 5.11a R
  7. Boo

Boo

It,s around 1600', and we didn't rap, rather lowered an attendant/medic. The rope is pretty well spent by the time we get the package to the talus slope on the SE side at the bottom of the cliff band.
  8. Boo

Boo

Thanks, and it may sound ridiculous, but as the old adage goes; "Lyle died doing what he loved more than anything else"!
    Cameron and Kevin like this.
  9. Terry LeBlanc

Terry LeBlanc

Wow. Great video. Even my puckers had puckers.
  10. John Styrnol

John Styrnol

Awesome Stuff!