Send us a suggestion!

BlueWater Canyonator 9mm x 65m Rope

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Reeves Coursey, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Reeves Coursey

Reeves Coursey

I have seen several reviews that say that this is a very weak rope and others that say it is the toughest rope they own. Opinions? I am looking to buy my first rope and would like to shop at REI because I have a gift card there, and it seems the Blue Water brand is the best rope they offer.
  2. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

I don't have a lot of experience with it, I had a 300' rope that I got on sale when I was newish to canyoneering and it got 2 core shots on its 2nd outing and I never bought that rope again. That said my friend (who was borrowing the rope when it core shot) bought me a new rope and cut up the BW rope for his personal use and the shorter lengths have lasted him a while. For the same price range I think ICG is a better rope so I would say it depends on how much your gift card is for. If it only pays for a small portion of the rope then go with a different brand from somewhere else and use the card for something else at rei, but if the gift card will pay for a significant portion of the rope then it might be worth your while, just make sure you're careful with it and watch for core shots.
  3. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Tom Collins likes this.
  4. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

Canyonator was one of the first ropes I ever bought. I've never had any core shots and it's still a perfectly functional rope but it is unbelievably stiff to this day. It's kind of hard to stuff into a rope bag it's so stiff. I should probably take it next time I go with a big group so it gets eaten up faster because it's taking up valuable real estate in a rope bag that a superior rope could be using. With that being said, if it's your first rope you probably won't notice the difference much until you try other ropes and 9 mm is a great size to start with.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

6. cjhaines

cjhaines

I've been using a Canyonator I got when I was new to canyoneering for a couple of years now. It's worked well and I've never core shot it, but that might have a lot to do with the care I take in setting it up. I have to agree with Jolly Green that it gets REALLY stiff, which can make it hard to bag. For the price, I'd say go with an Imlay rope, but if you're using a gift card that's hard to beat.
  7. John Styrnol

John Styrnol

Just buy your rope from Imlay Gear, or anyone else on this forum that sells canyoneering gear.
    Jared Robertson likes this.
  8. Sutitan

Sutitan

You could always just try flip the gift card on craigslist, or at worst ebay. Seems like people are letting them go for roughly a 10% discount in my neck of the woods. I took a look for myself and its somewhat surprising how few static ropes in general they had overall (Espc compared to other big outdoor retails likes backcountry)