Send us a suggestion!

Bluejohn Canyon East Fork (squeeze variation)

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Bernell Warner, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Now I know what is meant by Interesting entrance, Mae West, and deep, dark and beautiful slot...  Ron and I made it to the canyon in good time, about 8:00 Sat. morning.  The slot started very narrow so we decided to cheat the first section and enter at the next break about 50 yards down the canyon.  With a nice slide down the slick rock and soft landing we entered the canyon.  There must have been a nice storm a couple of days before, lots of water.  After several down climbs and wading we came to the first rap.  Short 15- 20 footer, with overhang.  Around several bends and a chest deep wader, we arrived to the second rap.  About the same, but after the rap the slot started  narrowing up and become interesting.  From shoulder width and down climbs the slot became deep and narrow.  Now we were going sideways Toe and heal to keep from getting stuck in the never ending v-crack at the bottom.  At one point Ron became stuck and not able to move ether way.  I had to move above him and lift him out of the crack.  At this point we called it a day and started heading up, out of the canyon.  I was able to chimney up the second rap and I anchored a pulley system to lift Ron up.  On the first rap I tied a carabineer to the rope and threw it in a v-crack at the top of the rap and climbed almost to the top of the rap.  With the assistance of Ron's shoulder, I was able to get around the overhang.  Using the pulley system again was able to get Ron to the top of the rap.  It took three hours to get into the canyon and six hours to get out.  With all the water in the canyon, slick rocks and mud, it made for a very difficult climb out.  This was our first experience of not doing a canyon but with keeping cool, calm and creativity we was able to get out and not rescued.  Chalk this one up to adventure.  I do not recommend this canyon to anyone but advanced canyoneers, and skinny people.  My opinion. 

Bernell

2. TomJones

TomJones Guest

Great story, thanks Bernell.

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Bernell Warner <frogjump53@...> wrote:
    Now I know what is meant by Interesting entrance, Mae West, and deep, dark and > beautiful slot...  Ron and I made it to the canyon in good time, about 8:00 Sat. > morning.  The slot started very narrow so we decided to cheat the first section > and enter at the next break about 50 yards down the canyon.  With a nice slide > down the slick rock and soft landing we entered the canyon.  There must have > been a nice storm a couple of days before, lots of water.  After several down > climbs and wading we came to the first rap.  Short 15- 20 footer, with > overhang.  Around several bends and a chest deep wader, we arrived to the second > rap.  About the same, but after the rap the slot started  narrowing up and > become interesting.  From shoulder width and down climbs the slot became deep > and narrow.  Now we were going sideways Toe and heal to keep from getting stuck > in the never ending v-crack at the bottom.  At one point Ron became stuck and > not able to move ether way.  I had to move above him and lift him out of the > crack.  At this point we called it a day and started heading up, out of the > canyon.  I was able to chimney up the second rap and I anchored a pulley system > to lift Ron up.  On the first rap I tied a carabineer to the rope and threw it > in a v-crack at the top of the rap and climbed almost to the top of the rap.  > With the assistance of Ron's shoulder, I was able to get around the overhang.  > Using the pulley system again was able to get Ron to the top of the rap.  It > took three hours to get into the canyon and six hours to get out.  With all the > water in the canyon, slick rocks and mud, it made for a very difficult climb > out.  This was our first experience of not doing a canyon but with keeping cool, > calm and creativity we was able to get out and not rescued.  Chalk this one up > to adventure.  I do not recommend this canyon to anyone but advanced canyoneers, > and skinny people.  My opinion. 
    Bernell

> >