Send us a suggestion!

Black Hole Conditions?

Discussion in 'Utah' started by Sandemonium, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Sandemonium

Sandemonium

Hey folks,

Has anyone been in the Black Hole recently? I would like to get in there in the coming weeks and I'm curious how full it is.

I am also considering checking it out Monday, and there is a slight chance of light precip Sunday and Monday...
    The "storms" recently haven't materialized much, but I understand it has a very large catchment area and I'm wondering if it is foolish to even consider making the drive to get a closer look...

Any of you who have done it a bunch mind giving your two cents?

Thanks
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Hi Sande -

You are right to be cautious. The problem on the black hole is that it has an extensive network above it, including some good collection zones 20 miles away. A major thunderstorm up by Natural Bridges in the night would show up as a flash flood in the Black Hole about 10 hours later. So watch the radar and keep track of the storm activity across the whole area.

It does not get done by "real canyoneers" in the middle of summer much. Surprisingly popular in the middle of winter...

Tom

ps. Real Canyoneers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
    Scott Patterson likes this.
  3. MMclimbhigh

MMclimbhigh

Sandemonium,

We just crawled through the Black Hole on 9/14. Aside from the usual swims, the remainder of the canyon is quite dry. The Black Hole proper is a mess! Chock full of log soup. It was quite difficult to fight through the swim. The left exit is open, but it's a struggle getting out. Best to leave a fixed line at the entrance in case the exit is blocked. We need a good flush! That's some foul smelling soup in there. Last time we did this canyon, it was quite clean and very FULL of water. Completely different experience this time. Good luck!