Send us a suggestion!

Beta-Dirty Devil Canyons

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by davewyo1, Feb 27, 2009.

1. davewyo1

davewyo1 Guest

Stefan has been so kind as to set up a little website with the mini- slots that I have been publishing. Here are a couple of pages which are a small preview of the finished product. AngelSlot: http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/minislot/?i=angelslot Angel Cove Canyon: http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/minislot/?i=angelcove

Let it be clear that both these canyons had clear indications of previous descent. I am not claiming first descents or anything else. Use the beta with caution, and be advised that conditions can change. Plenty of the anchors are in the water course and could be washed out when you get there... If you have questions or comments, please write to me. Keep in mind that Stefan has put a bunch of work into compiling this information and has written the whole thing by hand... Thanks go out to him, big time! Dave
  2. stefan

stefan Guest

truth be told, dave has done all the hard work! many thanks to him for exploring and sharing the beta with everyone

stefan

On Feb 27, 2009, at 11:16 PM, davewyo1 wrote:

> Stefan has been so kind as to set up a little website with the mini- > slots that I have been publishing. > Here are a couple of pages which are a small preview of the finished > product. > AngelSlot: > http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/minislot/?i=angelslot
    Angel Cove Canyon: > http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/minislot/?i=angelcove
    > Let it be clear that both these canyons had clear indications of > previous descent. I am not claiming first descents or anything else. > Use the beta with caution, and be advised that conditions can change. > Plenty of the anchors are in the water course and could be washed out > when you get there... > If you have questions or comments, please write to me. > Keep in mind that Stefan has put a bunch of work into compiling this > information and has written the whole thing by hand... > Thanks go out to him, big time! > Dave

---
    When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make > reading and searching easier. You can use the following > abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = > Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions > and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please use > a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, > such as:
    Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working?
    To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on > yahoo: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/
    > This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the > "Edit My > Membership" link, and change your delivery option. > Press "Save > Changes".
    DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email > to you each day summarizing that day's messages.
    WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you > must visit the web site to view messages. Groups Links
    >
  3. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, stefan <wanderingutahn@...> wrote:
    > truth be told, dave has done all the hard work! > many thanks to him for exploring and sharing the beta with everyone
    stefan

I second this. Thank you. Very kind. R
  4. Bill

Bill Guest

Thanks Dave and Stefan. Looking forward to getting into these canyons. And I really like the format on the site. Bill

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "davewyo1" <davewyo1@...> wrote:
    Stefan has been so kind as to set up a little website with the mini- > slots that I have been publishing. > Here are a couple of pages which are a small preview of the finished > product. > AngelSlot: > http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/minislot/?i=angelslot
    Angel Cove Canyon: > http://www.math.utah.edu/~sfolias/minislot/?i=angelcove
    > Let it be clear that both these canyons had clear indications of > previous descent. I am not claiming first descents or anything else. > Use the beta with caution, and be advised that conditions can change. > Plenty of the anchors are in the water course and could be washed out > when you get there... > If you have questions or comments, please write to me. > Keep in mind that Stefan has put a bunch of work into compiling this > information and has written the whole thing by hand... > Thanks go out to him, big time! > Dave >
  5. A.J.

A.J. Guest

Thank you BOTH for your efforts. ;) I have a beginner trip going out in April, so some of these small slots might work out perfectly!

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, stefan <wanderingutahn@...> wrote:
    truth be told, dave has done all the hard work! > many thanks to him for exploring and sharing the beta with everyone
    stefan
    On Feb 27, 2009, at 11:16 PM, davewyo1 wrote:
    > Stefan has been so kind as to set up a little website with the
    mini-
    slots that I have been publishing.
    Here are a couple of pages which are a small preview of the...
  6. davewyo1

davewyo1 Guest

Hey AJ! I occurs to me that the main fork of Angel Cove Canyon could be really nice for beginners and teaching first rappels. The upper "slot" part of the canyon has 3 "nice&easy" rappels to get started and then two optional final rappels at the end of the canyon which go "free". The first of the free raps is short(~20') with a fairly difficult start and transition. The second of the final raps is longer(70'), has an okay start, and would probably be a good "finale" for the day. Angel Slot has a rather heinous first rappel, but has the easiest "transition to free" on the final rappel that I've ever encountered. You can bypass the first rappel and a bit of open "slot" and drop in at the "second" rappel without much difficulty. I know you have plenty of experience teaching first-time rappelling than most. These are just some thoughts... Dave

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "A.J." <aj@...> wrote:
    Thank you BOTH for your efforts. ;) I have a beginner trip going out > in April, so some of these small slots might work out perfectly!
  7. A.J.

A.J. Guest

Thanks for the ideas!

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "davewyo1" <davewyo1@...> wrote:
    Hey AJ! > I occurs to me that the main fork of Angel Cove Canyon could be really > nice for beginners and teaching first rappels. The upper "slot" part of > the canyon has 3 "nice&easy" rappels to get started and then two > optional final rappels at the end of the canyon which go "free". The > first of the free raps is short(~20') with a fairly difficult start and > transition. The second of the final raps is longer(70'), has an okay > start, and would probably be a good "finale" for the day. > Angel Slot has a rather heinous first rappel, but has the > easiest "transition to free" on the final rappel that I've ever > encountered. You can bypass the first rappel and a bit of open "slot" > and drop in at the "second" rappel without much difficulty. > I know you have plenty of experience teaching first-time rappelling > than most. These are just some thoughts... > Dave
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "A.J." <aj@> wrote:

Thank you BOTH for your efforts. ;) I have a beginner trip going > out
    in April, so some of these small slots might work out perfectly! >