Send us a suggestion!

Best knots for undoing after being pulled really tight

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canyonero, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Canyonero

Canyonero

Hypothetical situation. You have to pull a rope with a jeep because it is a really tough pull. But you first had to join two ropes together to reach the jeep. What knot do you use to tie the ropes together and how do you attach the rope to the jeep if you want to be able to undo the knots quickly and efficiently?
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  2. Sonny Lawrence

Sonny Lawrence

Sheet bend and high strength tie off.
  3. Canyonero

Canyonero

4. Canyonero

Canyonero

Never mind, that doesn't look like it gets weighted.
    hank moon likes this.
  5. Canyon Monkey

Canyon Monkey Useful Idiot

Zeppelin Bend
    locro, Kuenn and Bootboy like this.
  6. Canyonero

Canyonero

7. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

I wondered the same. Have used that rig for many years w/o the overhand and w/o issue.
  8. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

+1 for the Zeppelin bend
  9. ratagonia

ratagonia

Fisherpersoned Square Knot for the Bend; Bunny Ears Figure 8 for attaching to the jeep.

Make sure you use the end of the rope in each case, so if you have to cut it off, you won't lose much.

Tom
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  10. Canyonero

Canyonero

The bunny ears 8 doesn't tighten up like a regular eight? Sure looks like it would.

And I can't seem to find a photo of a fisherman'd Square Knot. Can you describe? Is it a square knot with the tails fishermanned?
  11. ratagonia

ratagonia

I think the Bunny Ears tightens up half of what a regular Fig 8 on a bight would. I have used it to tow someone out of the sand... I don't remember whether I was able to untie it.

Yes, here is a picture.

Fisherpersons square knot bend.
  12. Sonny Lawrence

Sonny Lawrence

It is just a way to secure the end. Any way could work. Once I saw a SAR instructor simply lay the tail of the rope over the loaded side, no connection at all. If there are enough wraps to prevent the rope from sliding around the anchor, there is no force on the tail.
  13. Canyonero

Canyonero

Half is more than I'm interested in! I think I'll go with the tensionless hitch/high strength tie off for that application.

The square fisherman looks like it could be hard to untie. I mean, it's basically just a square knot. Everything I'm reading on it says it is easier to untie than many knots, but I'm skeptical it would be a better choice than the Zeppelin or even the Sheet Bend. Is there anyway to quantify this other than, you know, tightening down a bunch of knots and timing how long it takes to undo them? Has anyone done that?
  14. ratagonia

ratagonia

You will be happy to learn that this avenue of investigation is unexplored. Master's Thesis?

t
  15. Canyonero

Canyonero

The last thing I need is another degree. Maybe a project for an old rope.
  16. hank moon

Casual front yard experiment with sheet bend, zeppelin bend and square knot. Rope: retired Bluewater Canyon Pro (super stiff).

Test method: 8" of slack in joined rope; car parked on 5° slope. Put car in neutral, car rolls backward, knots tighten.

Results: Square knot by far hardest to untie, then sheet bend, then zeppelin. Note: only a slight difference between the latter two. Side note: the two bowlines, loaded multiple times, were the easiest to untie.

PA255029.JPG

PA255030.JPG
  17. Canyonero

Canyonero

Thanks for doing that. Where do I send your Master's degree?

But it gives me the question, "Well what about joining the ropes with two bowline loops then if that's easier to untie than a Zeppelin?"
  18. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

I second Bowline!
  19. hank moon

Why knot? But...maybe the easiest would be toggling with a suitable lug wrench?

Now that's a stuck rope! :)
  20. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

What about using a sliding friction knot such as the Klemheist? In theory you could use it to tie two ropes together and it should be easier to untie (or so it seems) than other knots after being weighted.