Send us a suggestion!

Best canyons to do solo in escalante area?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canyonguypat, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Canyonguypat

Canyonguypat

I'll be in Escalante the 27th through the 29th, I'm looking for canyons without potholes, no R/X, ideally no raps over 100 ft, no tricky pulls. I'm pretty comfortable with exposure and have a 2wd vehicle. I know there's a lot of knowledge on here, I was wondering what fit the bill in the area.
  2. dakotabelliston

dakotabelliston Living life to it's fullest

Egypt 1 = Short & sweet. No raps over 100 ft, low time commitment.
    Egypt 3 = Only 1 rap at the end that can be bypassed which I would recommend. Long way to carry your rope for 1 rappel. VERY SKINNY & cool.

Peek-a-boo & Spooky Gulch = Non technical canyons, but great short outing to experience some narrow & beautiful slots.
  3. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Similar to Dakota other than I don't recommend any canyons to be done solo.
    dakotabelliston likes this.
  4. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Spencer/Metro might be good. For something non technical, Little Death Hollow is a good one.
    dakotabelliston and 2065toyota like this.
  5. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Spencer isn't too technical and you can bail before the drop down into the dark narrow section that generally has water in it
  6. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Davis Gulch might be another good one.
  7. Canyonero

Canyonero

I heard Blue John is a really good one to do solo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/127_Hours

I guess solo canyoneering is probably less risky than free solo climbing though.

I'd probably do Egypt 2 down and Egypt 3 up solo, now that I've done them in a group. When Dakota says skinny he means it. I had to take my harness off to get through Egypt 3. Not quite bad enough that I couldn't turn my head (it gets wider 6 feet off the ground than below 4 feet) but it was close. If you don't do very well in skinnies, might not want to be in there solo.

The first Egypt 2 rap is over 100 feet (it's over 200 feet actually) but you don't have to pull it or carry the rope.
  8. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Pretty sure Egypt 2 first rap was more like 260 or 270
  9. Canyonero

Canyonero

Yes, definitely want the 300er and a car with a good parking brake.
    2065toyota likes this.
  10. Kevin

Kevin

Easy to bypass on canyon left. There is a rap there, but it's much shorter.
  11. 2065toyota

2065toyota

It looked a little sketchy getting down to it though, but I havnt actually tried it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Kevin likes this.
  12. Kevin

Kevin

It's not, though I do know what you're saying. Looks a little steep up top. I've done it twice, walk the rim for a couple hundred yards you'll see the easy way down. Anchor, when I was there, is tied to a big boulder down the slick rock slope.
    2065toyota likes this.
  13. Canyonguypat

Canyonguypat

Ended up doing upper red breaks today, didn't go out to Egypt didn't want to cross 25 mile wash. Ironically still ripped my lower radiator hose off on a road that was way better than the one out to squeeze and quandary :( might try and borrow a mountain bike and get out to Egypts as an overnight. Thanks for the suggestions.
  14. ScottM

ScottM Looking for a canyon, you got one?

Please use the small jug handle/arch on the right-hand side to build your anchor. BLM frowns on parking a car in that drainage, or taking a vehicle off road into the area required to stage a vehicle anchor.
  15. Matthew_R

Matthew_R

I did Egypt 2 off the car two weekends ago I would definitely suggest doing it where Scott says. Unfortunately I did it the way I thought was normal. Didn't see the far superior arch anchor spot till the car anchor was all set up. Lesson learned.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    ratagonia likes this.
  16. dakotabelliston

dakotabelliston Living life to it's fullest

I did it off my car in March. Never even looked for a natural anchor as I thought the car was the norm. Most beta I found people were using their car.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  17. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

I think Alcatraz is the real canyon to use the car-anchor on..

Egypt 2 has the arch
    John Styrnol likes this.
  18. John Styrnol

John Styrnol

I'm sure things have changed, but in the early 2000s if I remember correctly the car anchor for Alcatraz and also a car anchor for Egypt 2 we saw being used.