Send us a suggestion!

Benson Creek

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sandstoned, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Sandstoned

Sandstoned

Hello All,
    Wanting to descend Benson Creek. I understand it was a heavy snow year in the region. Wonder if folks in the area who know Benson Creek and the hike up to the start of the technical section believe snow to be an issue--either obscuring the route up, making things sketchy, or increasing the flow significantly. Im pretty optimistic, but would love to hear from someone in the area or in the know directly. Was planning on being in the area in about ten days or two weeks at most. Thanks much.
  2. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

I havent been down in that area for a while but even if there's no snow on the approach, the water flow in canyon will be ridiculously high. Likely a legit class C canyon with this year's snowpack
    Sandstoned and 2065toyota like this.
  3. VBlueV

VBlueV

Ran Benson Creek twice Autumn 2018.. the first time mid-September just an ankle deep trickle.. second time just before Halloween (again expecting only a trickle).. a freezing cold waterfall! Mostly due to the early snowfall above near Brian Head =) So.. we didn't bring wetsuits, but most had rain-shells.. and one girl had a 2mm rash-guard.

It's been warm down South, so I would think the approach should be free of snow by mid-June. However, the chute you have to gain, especially near the top is lined with loose scree. Keep your spacing and yell "ROCK" as required.

Once on the ridge, it's pretty easy going. Along the left-side military-crest is a well used trail.. although you might have to scramble over dead-fall here and there. Cairns mark where you can leave the trail to go down a drainage to the creek. (Maybe delay dropping down until the 2nd cairn or you see a more established trail.. there is a good trail) Once at the creek.. gear up and go! The first rappel is BIG and at this time more than likely wet.. very wet =)

[​IMG]
    The approach chute get's even steeper as you near the top! Stay more to the right-side/center of the chute for a less exposed scramble. (The left-side has Class 4+)

[​IMG]
    Starting the first 130 ft rappel in Benson Creek =)

[​IMG]
    Ice-cold water (melted snow from recent early season snowfall in October).. Thank goodness for my trusty rain-shell =D

[​IMG]
    At the bottom of Benson Creek rappel one.. waterfall! brrrrrr
    EDIT: NOTE.. The first rap had the strongest flow. Raps 2, 3, 4 seemed to have diffused the water some and the force wasn't as strong.. or you could avoid being directly in the watercourse the whole time.

[​IMG]
    The fourth final rappel is 50 ft.. and you get a dry option.. two bolts high on the RDC wall. Or wet option.. webbing around a tree set-back 50 feet from the edge.. which lets you descend in the watercourse. Needless to say.. our neoprene-challenged group chose the dry-wall =)
    Have fun.. be safe.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  4. Sandstoned

Sandstoned

Great feedback, while I was not planning on my neo suit, I can take a light one along. Still concerned about the flow outta rap one, and love to hear if anyone has been down there this season. Thanks again, all.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  5. darhawk

darhawk

Isn't the flow pretty much everywhere in Utah really high right now? Still sitting on huge snowpacks and warming temps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
  6. Sandstoned

Sandstoned

Yeah, holding off for a while. I will give some thought to Benson later in the summer. Thanks for your input folks.