Send us a suggestion!

UT: Zion Benson Creek, Oct. '12

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by MTN_DUDE, Feb 20, 2013.

1. MTN_DUDE

MTN_DUDE

Post taken from my blog, www.mountain-dude.blogspot.com
    [​IMG]
    The old men (my dad and uncle) and I went to Hidden Haven Saturday and found out it was frozen over.
    This added quite a bit of excitement to the canyon which is already a wonderful route. Benson Creek, as it is also known as, has a steep up-climb followed by a series of four waterfalls.
    The old men called me about noon to say they were in Cedar City and ready to go. I quickly got out of bed and threw my gear together.
    The canyon itself is great. Once up on top head east until you find the Benson Creek then turn and follow it downstream. You'll arrive at the first drop and notice the webbing around a fir tree on the left.

This first drop is roughly 100ft, probably more like 105ft so bring rope to match.

Going down this time was great because what is normally just a waterfall was covered in ice. I was so glad we brought our wetsuits to change into because it was really cold!
    enteringbenson.
    goingdownthelastarppel.
    dad100ftrap.
    icefalls.
    settinuprap.
    Waterfallicicle.
    settinupthelastrap.

featured image for the homepage
    slide.
    Mac, Bill, Marlowe and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mike

Mike epic blarneys

Cool! I've ice climbed the bottom waterfalls before, didn't know it was also a canyoneering route, looks rad with flow.
  3. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

good stuff keith! enjoyed checking out your blog as well, some cool stuff. looking forward to seeing what you produce in the slots with that new tripod! :twothumbs: