Send us a suggestion!

Benson creek / canyon

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Jody Jones, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Jody Jones

Jody Jones Guest

--- On Wed, 9/17/08, Jody Jones jody.jones63@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Jody Jones jody.jones63@yahoo.com> Subject: Benson creek / canyon To: canyons@yahoo.com Date: Wednesday, September 17, 2008, 5:46 AM

Hello All,   Went down Benson Creek Saturday 9/13 with my buddy frank. What a total surprise! This is a very fun, short canyon. Ive lived and played in this area (Brian Head) for many years and had never rapped through from the top. We encountered 4 rappels, 3 of witch were natural anchors (pine trees) and 1 set of B&H. The first rappel off a large pine down a fluted water fall was almost the neatest rap I have done to date. It had a little of everything, water flow, narrow fluted canyon, mosey green walls, natural anchors, and a steep rap down in to a very neat canyon. fun was had by all , and will definitely descend it again in the future!                 This was truley a "Hidden Haven"                     J.J.  
  2. Luke

Luke Guest

What was the longest rap on that route? I might want to go check tat out one day. You sound so jazzed it makes me wana check it out. I looked at the map. If I have the right place it is only about 2.5 miles long. Does that seem about right?

Luke

From: Yahoo Canyons Group [mailto:Yahoo Canyons Group] On Behalf Of Jody Jones Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 22:50 To: Yahoo Canyons Group Subject: [from Canyons Group] Fw: Benson creek / canyon

--- On Wed, 9/17/08, Jody Jones jody.jones63@yahoo.com <mailto:jody.jones63%40yahoo.com
    wrote:

From: Jody Jones jody.jones63@yahoo.com <mailto:jody.jones63%40yahoo.com
    Subject: Benson creek / canyon To: canyons@yahoo.com <mailto:canyons%40yahoo.com> Date: Wednesday, September 17, 2008, 5:46 AM

Hello All, Went down Benson Creek Saturday 9/13 with my buddy frank. What a total surprise! This is a very fun, short canyon. Ive lived and played in this area (Brian Head) for many years and had never rapped through from the top. We encountered 4 rappels, 3 of witch were natural anchors (pine trees) and 1 set of B&H. The first rappel off a large pine down a fluted water fall was almost the neatest rap I have done to date. It had a little of everything, water flow, narrow fluted canyon, mosey green walls, natural anchors, and a steep rap down in to a very neat canyon. fun was had by all , and will definitely descend it again in the future!

This was truley a "Hidden Haven" J.J.
  3. Shaun

Shaun Guest

Heard the longest rap is just over 100ft and a 200ft rope (doubled) would make it with rope streatch. YMMV

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Luke" <Bluu@...> wrote:
    What was the longest rap on that route? I might want to go check tat out > one day. You sound so jazzed it makes me wana check it out. I looked at > the map. If I have the right place it is only about 2.5 miles long. Does > that seem about right?
    Luke

From: Yahoo Canyons Group [mailto:Yahoo Canyons Group] On Behalf Of > Jody Jones > Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 22:50 > To: Yahoo Canyons Group
    Subject: [from Canyons Group] Fw: Benson creek / canyon

--- On Wed, 9/17/08, Jody Jones <jody.jones63@... > <mailto:jody.jones63%40yahoo.com
    wrote:
    From: Jody Jones <jody.jones63@... <mailto:jody.jones63% 40yahoo.com
    > Subject: Benson creek / canyon > To: canyons@... <mailto:canyons%40yahoo.com
    Date: Wednesday, September 17, 2008, 5:46 AM
    Hello All, > Went down Benson Creek Saturday 9/13 with my buddy frank. What a total > surprise! This is a very fun, short canyon. Ive lived and played in this > area (Brian Head) for many years and had never rapped through from the top. > We encountered 4 rappels, 3 of witch were natural anchors (pine trees) and 1 > set of B&H. The first rappel off a large pine down a fluted water fall was > almost the neatest rap I have done to date. It had a little of everything, > water flow, narrow fluted canyon, mosey green walls, natural anchors, and a > steep rap down in to a very neat canyon. fun was had by all , and will > definitely descend it again in the future!
    This was truley a "Hidden Haven" > J.J.
    >

>
  4. Jody Jones

Jody Jones Guest

Shawn,       you are right on. We used a 200' (9mm) imlay rope, doubled up.  It hung about 6'' from the gravel at the bottom. Not sure how stretched or not the rope was. The other 3 raps are under 50'.       The total hike took 3 hours round trip , and if my memory serves me right, my GPS read 2.25 miles total. So if I had to guess the length of the technical section it was only 3/4 of a mile. SHORT BUT SWEET! --- On Wed, 9/17/08, Shaun trackrunner83@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Shaun trackrunner83@yahoo.com> Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Fw: Benson creek / canyon To: Yahoo Canyons Group Date: Wednesday, September 17, 2008, 6:53 PM

Heard the longest rap is just over 100ft and a 200ft rope (doubled) would make it with rope stretch. YMMV

--- In canyons@yahoogroups .com, "Luke" <Bluu@...> wrote:
    What was the longest rap on that route? I might want to go check tat out > one day. You sound so jazzed it makes me wana check it out. I looked at > the map. If I have the right place it is only about 2.5 miles long. Does > that seem about right?
    Luke

From: canyons@yahoogroups .com [mailto:canyons@yahoogroups .com] On Behalf Of > Jody Jones > Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 22:50 > To: canyons@yahoogroups .com > Subject: [from Canyons Group] Fw: Benson creek / canyon

--- On Wed, 9/17/08, Jody Jones <jody.jones63@ ... > <mailto:jody. jones63%40yahoo. com
    wrote:
    From: Jody Jones <jody.jones63@ ... <mailto:jody. jones63% 40yahoo.com
    > Subject: Benson creek / canyon > To: canyons@... <mailto:canyons% 40yahoo.com
    Hello All, > Went down Benson Creek Saturday 9/13 with my buddy frank. What a total > surprise! This is a very fun, short canyon. Ive lived and played in this > area (Brian Head) for many years and had never rapped through from the top. > We encountered 4 rappels, 3 of witch were natural anchors (pine trees) and 1 > set of B&H. The first rappel off a large pine down a fluted water fall was > almost the neatest rap I have done to date. It had a little of everything, > water flow, narrow fluted canyon, mosey green walls, natural anchors, and a > steep rap down in to a very neat canyon. fun was had by all , and will > definitely descend it again in the future!
    >

>
  5. Luke

Luke Guest

Thanks. I might put that on my list of to do's. J

From: Yahoo Canyons Group [mailto:Yahoo Canyons Group] On Behalf Of Shaun Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:54 To: Yahoo Canyons Group Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Fw: Benson creek / canyon

Heard the longest rap is just over 100ft and a 200ft rope (doubled) would make it with rope streatch. YMMV

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> , "Luke" <Bluu@...> wrote:
    Luke

From: Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of > Jody Jones > Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 22:50 > To: Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [from Canyons Group] Fw: Benson creek / canyon

--- On Wed, 9/17/08, Jody Jones <jody.jones63@... > <mailto:jody.jones63%40yahoo.com
    wrote:
    From: Jody Jones <jody.jones63@... <mailto:jody.jones63% 40yahoo.com
    > Subject: Benson creek / canyon > To: canyons@... <mailto:canyons%40yahoo.com
    >

>
  6. Luke

Luke Guest

Hey Jody

Any wet suit recommended for the wet part at this time of year?

From: Yahoo Canyons Group [mailto:Yahoo Canyons Group] On Behalf Of Jody Jones Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 16:10 To: Yahoo Canyons Group Subject: Re: [from Canyons Group] Re: Fw: Benson creek / canyon

Shawn, you are right on. We used a 200' (9mm) imlay rope, doubled up. It hung about 6'' from the gravel at the bottom. Not sure how stretched or not the rope was. The other 3 raps are under 50'. The total hike took 3 hours round trip , and if my memory serves me right, my GPS read 2.25 miles total. So if I had to guess the length of the technical section it was only 3/4 of a mile. SHORT BUT SWEET! --- On Wed, 9/17/08, Shaun trackrunner83@yahoo.com <mailto:trackrunner83%40yahoo.com
    wrote:

From: Shaun trackrunner83@yahoo.com <mailto:trackrunner83%40yahoo.com
    Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Fw: Benson creek / canyon To: Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> Date: Wednesday, September 17, 2008, 6:53 PM

Heard the longest rap is just over 100ft and a 200ft rope (doubled) would make it with rope stretch. YMMV

Luke

From: canyons@yahoogroups .com [mailto:canyons@yahoogroups .com] On Behalf Of > Jody Jones > Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 22:50 > To: canyons@yahoogroups .com > Subject: [from Canyons Group] Fw: Benson creek / canyon

--- On Wed, 9/17/08, Jody Jones <jody.jones63@ ... > <mailto:jody. jones63%40yahoo. com
    wrote:
    >

>
  7. Jody Jones

Jody Jones Guest

Hey Luke,  No. you will not need a wet suit. the water is only inches in depth. The only time you get wet is on the first rap. Water more or less just splashes your your legs up to your knees depending on how hard you try to stay dry.. A few Shallow potholes may bee 6-12'' deep.  Nice to chat!!  J.J.

--- On Thu, 9/18/08, Luke Bluu@cox.net> wrote:

From: Luke Bluu@cox.net> Subject: RE: [from Canyons Group] Re: Fw: Benson creek / canyon To: Yahoo Canyons Group Date: Thursday, September 18, 2008, 12:00 AM

Hey Jody

From: canyons@yahoogroups .com [mailto:canyons@yahoogroups .com] On Behalf Of Jody Jones Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 16:10 To: canyons@yahoogroups .com Subject: Re: [from Canyons Group] Re: Fw: Benson creek / canyon

Shawn, you are right on. We used a 200' (9mm) imlay rope, doubled up. It hung about 6'' from the gravel at the bottom. Not sure how stretched or not the rope was. The other 3 raps are under 50'. The total hike took 3 hours round trip , and if my memory serves me right, my GPS read 2.25 miles total. So if I had to guess the length of the technical section it was only 3/4 of a mile. SHORT BUT SWEET! --- On Wed, 9/17/08, Shaun <trackrunner83@ yahoo.com <mailto:trackrunner 83%40yahoo. com
    wrote:

From: Shaun <trackrunner83@ yahoo.com <mailto:trackrunner 83%40yahoo. com
    Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Fw: Benson creek / canyon To: canyons@yahoogroups .com <mailto:canyons% 40yahoogroups. com> Date: Wednesday, September 17, 2008, 6:53 PM

Luke

From: canyons@yahoogroups .com [mailto:canyons@ yahoogroups .com] On Behalf Of > Jody Jones > Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 22:50 > To: canyons@yahoogroups .com > Subject: [from Canyons Group] Fw: Benson creek / canyon

wrote:
    >

>
  8. Jody Jones

Jody Jones Guest

Although I'm pretty sure It is a different story in the spring when the snow melt is blasting thought here. May bee someone how has done this in the spring will weigh in.--- On Thu, 9/18/08, Jody Jones jody.jones63@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Jody Jones jody.jones63@yahoo.com> Subject: RE: [from Canyons Group] Re: Fw: Benson creek / canyon To: Yahoo Canyons Group Date: Thursday, September 18, 2008, 12:15 AM

Hey Luke,  No. you will not need a wet suit. the water is only inches in depth. The only time you get wet is on the first rap. Water more or less just splashes your your legs up to your knees depending on how hard you try to stay dry... A few Shallow potholes may bee 6-12'' deep.  Nice to chat!!  J.J.

--- On Thu, 9/18/08, Luke Bluu@cox.net> wrote:

From: Luke Bluu@cox.net> Subject: RE: [from Canyons Group] Re: Fw: Benson creek / canyon To: canyons@yahoogroups .com Date: Thursday, September 18, 2008, 12:00 AM

Hey Jody

From: canyons@yahoogroups .com [mailto:canyons@ yahoogroups .com] On Behalf Of Jody Jones Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 16:10 To: canyons@yahoogroups .com Subject: Re: [from Canyons Group] Re: Fw: Benson creek / canyon

Shawn, you are right on. We used a 200' (9mm) imlay rope, doubled up. It hung about 6'' from the gravel at the bottom. Not sure how stretched or not the rope was. The other 3 raps are under 50'. The total hike took 3 hours round trip , and if my memory serves me right, my GPS read 2.25 miles total. So if I had to guess the length of the technical section it was only 3/4 of a mile. SHORT BUT SWEET! --- On Wed, 9/17/08, Shaun <trackrunner83@ yahoo.com <mailto:trackrunner 83%40yahoo. com
    wrote:

From: Shaun <trackrunner83@ yahoo.com <mailto:trackrunner 83%40yahoo. com
    Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Fw: Benson creek / canyon To: canyons@yahoogroups .com <mailto:canyons% 40yahoogroups. com> Date: Wednesday, September 17, 2008, 6:53 PM

Luke

From: canyons@yahoogroups .com [mailto:canyons@ yahoogroups .com] On Behalf Of > Jody Jones > Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 22:50 > To: canyons@yahoogroups .com > Subject: [from Canyons Group] Fw: Benson creek / canyon

wrote:
    >

>