Send us a suggestion!

Benson Creek (Brianhead)

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by wisconnyjohnny, Jun 20, 2018.

1. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

While looking thru Airbnb experiences last week this canyon popped on my list as a lady on Airbnb says she guides it. So I found a smidge of beta. We drove over from Escalante to brianhead area and started to hike about 12:15 pm
    We knew we would hate the steep route finding section. It proved more difficult then expected when our GPS went on the fritz. (Needed an update)
    I enjoy these lesser traveled canyons. Also short days and straightforward. (Suppose to be)

It got steeper cliffy and bush whacky. Ok ok we knew that we expected that to some extent. Cresting a ridge we didn’t know GPS was letting us down yet and it showed us due south of drop in
    So we started bush whacking due north. We went down some serious steep hills started to realize our folly said “screw it” not going back up. We came to a chute between two cliffs and started to descend. Girlfriend wasn’t having it unprotected so set up a line for her on a tree. I
    Joke with her she was doing a first descent of this gully.
    We were aware that this gully could cliff out but felt confident we had enough rope and webbing and all the bells and whistles to overcome any cliff. I also saw tree tops in this gully the whole way down.
    So we knew we dropped in early at this point just not knowing how early.
    Ends up we come into the canyon between rap 2 and 3.
    Awwwwe man I’m pissed in a jovial way. 2nd week 2nd first mistake for me. What we saw of the canyon was very pretty. Reminded me of Kanarraville. We didn’t see anyone else the whole day.
    I’ll go back and nail the hike in next time. About 3:35 it took.
    Anthony Dye and Rapterman like this.
  2. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Ahhh...Hidden Haven...as an ice climb...one of the best routes I've done in Southern Utah for sure. Approach from the bottom in winter is probably easier...ha ha...
  3. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

. Dropped in here.! Oopsies
    FD58C8C2-4D9F-4DE8-85DB-C22DE1A5EF59.
  4. 2065toyota

2065toyota

GPS.

There is a worn trail to the canyon :D
    Taylor likes this.