Send us a suggestion!

Belfast Boulevard and padding

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by RAM, May 5, 2010.

1. RAM

RAM Guest

It is more the dark corridor right after the chockstones, but before the East Fork. The name was from Hank and Shane? Those chockstones are quite unstable. The passage thru that section changes regularly. I'm glad no one was in the way when one of those changes occurred. Luke, thanks for all the observations. I gotta thing that feeling Middle Lep (Shimrock) as tighter had more to do with you on a given day. It is true that sand levels change, especially in Shenanigan's, sometimes a few feet without it effecting appearance, but definately effecting ease of passage for different body types.

Luke, how did the padding work? What did you use and do you have any of what my kids used to call "badges of honor" scabs and scars? Ram

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Luke" <luke@...> wrote:
    We were a bit confused when doing the Middle Fork of Leprechaun.

Lori and I thought the section with the high winding walls (almost subway > like) after getting below the junction with the east fork was called Belfast > Boulevard. After all it feels like a big wide street with some high > buildings on the sides. It feels like a boulevard so it must be called a > boulevard, right. Pat and Penny informed us that the skinny rock piled > section just before the junction with the right fork is what is called > Belfast Boulevard.

Ok I get it we were wrong. J

Can someone enlighten me as to how the tiny choke stone filled tight section > before the junction with the right fork came to be known as Belfast > Boulevard? It sure doesn't feel like a street like the later portion does.

Any insight would be appreciated.
    Luke

>
  2. Luke

Luke Guest

Penny's opinion was the same as mine in Middle Lep (Shimrock) being a little tighter. But you may have a point with it being me on a given day. Maybe I will have to go back and do both of those to see how I feel about it after another trip through. J

Unfortunately no badges of honor. I think Pat had a couple badges though.

For the elbows I went with some neoprene elbow guards. I almost never have issues with elbows so I thought it would be sufficient. And it was. They were perfect.

For the knees I went with Nike Bubble knee pads. They have the same feature someone mentioned that I liked which is the outer material is glued to the pad inside. As the pad wore down nothing moved since it was all glued in place. I forget who mentioned that but a thank you to tem for noting some pads have that feature. The pads were sufficient. I would not say perfect but they did the trick. They tended to shift around a little more than I would like but that may be the way I was moving and may change as I do more of that style of canyon. The padding would have been perfect if I had better knees. I still felt good when I got out, but both my patella tendons were a little achy after the weekend of skinny stuff. I know it was a direct result of direct pressure on the tendons as I used my knees to push on the walls. If I were able to change something about them, there would be a little stiff plate with a dent in it for where the patella runs. This would help distribute (not take away completely) the pressure away from my patella. But that is a personal battle I have with my knees. So for the general person I would say the Nike Bubble Pads work great.

Luke

From: Yahoo Canyons Group [mailto:Yahoo Canyons Group] On Behalf Of RAM Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 8:32 PM To: Yahoo Canyons Group Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Belfast Boulevard and padding

It is more the dark corridor right after the chockstones, but before the East Fork. The name was from Hank and Shane? Those chockstones are quite unstable. The passage thru that section changes regularly. I'm glad no one was in the way when one of those changes occurred. Luke, thanks for all the observations. I gotta thing that feeling Middle Lep (Shimrock) as tighter had more to do with you on a given day. It is true that sand levels change, especially in Shenanigan's, sometimes a few feet without it effecting appearance, but definately effecting ease of passage for different body types.

Luke, how did the padding work? What did you use and do you have any of what my kids used to call "badges of honor" scabs and scars? Ram

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> , "Luke" <luke@...> wrote:

Lori and I thought the section with the high winding walls (almost subway > like) after getting below the junction with the east fork was called Belfast > Boulevard. After all it feels like a big wide street with some high > buildings on the sides. It feels like a boulevard so it must be called a > boulevard, right. Pat and Penny informed us that the skinny rock piled > section just before the junction with the right fork is what is called > Belfast Boulevard.

Can someone enlighten me as to how the tiny choke stone filled tight section > before the junction with the right fork came to be known as Belfast > Boulevard? It sure doesn't feel like a street like the later portion does.

Luke

>
  3. Luke

Luke Guest

Ok don't mean to be a stickler here but....

Tom's site lists Belfast Boulevard as being just before the junction with the right fork (east fork).

http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/north/leptech.php

Chris Brennon's site lists Belfast Boulevard as below the junction with the right fork and describes a beautiful spot we all found appealing.

The narrow slot below the boulder falls and the junction with the right fork is not appealing in any way and I am not sure why anyone would give that spot a name at all. The spot slightly below the junction on the other hand is quite captivating and I can see someone wanting to name it. For this reason I want to lean toward the spot Brennen describes.

Any one want to chime in on this?

Luke

From: Yahoo Canyons Group [mailto:Yahoo Canyons Group] On Behalf Of RAM Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 8:32 PM To: Yahoo Canyons Group Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Belfast Boulevard and padding

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> , "Luke" <luke@...> wrote:

Luke

>
  4. TomJones

TomJones Guest

Your statement is somewhat ambiguous, Luke. A more reading of CUSA description would yield that BB is in the main fork just ABOVE the junction with the East Fork.

I have always considered it the flat-bottomed section that can be shimmied into as a hiker, and that does not involve clambering upward. Essentially, as far as a hiker can get up the main fork without a headlamp. With a headlamp, boulders in the slot are revealed that promise passage upward - which would intrigue a 'canyoneer', but not a hiker.

It is a good test of one's size, because if someone considers THAT skinny, they are going to have a difficult time in any actually skinny part of the canyon.

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Luke" <luke@...> wrote:

Tom's site lists Belfast Boulevard as being just before the junction with > the right fork (east fork).

> Chris Brennon's site lists Belfast Boulevard as below the junction with the > right fork and describes a beautiful spot we all found appealing.

> The narrow slot below the boulder falls and the junction with the right fork > is not appealing in any way and I am not sure why anyone would give that > spot a name at all. The spot slightly below the junction on the other hand > is quite captivating and I can see someone wanting to name it. For this > reason I want to lean toward the spot Brennen describes.

Luke

From: Yahoo Canyons Group [mailto:Yahoo Canyons Group] On Behalf Of > RAM > Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 8:32 PM > To: Yahoo Canyons Group
    Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Belfast Boulevard and padding

It is more the dark corridor right after the chockstones, but before the > East Fork. The name was from Hank and Shane? Those chockstones are quite > unstable. The passage thru that section changes regularly. I'm glad no one > was in the way when one of those changes occurred. Luke, thanks for all the > observations. I gotta thing that feeling Middle Lep (Shimrock) as tighter > had more to do with you on a given day. It is true that sand levels change, > especially in Shenanigan's, sometimes a few feet without it effecting > appearance, but definately effecting ease of passage for different body > types.
    Luke, how did the padding work? What did you use and do you have any of what > my kids used to call "badges of honor" scabs and scars? > Ram
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> , "Luke" > <luke@> wrote:

Lori and I thought the section with the high winding walls (almost subway
    like) after getting below the junction with the east fork was called > Belfast
    Boulevard. After all it feels like a big wide street with some high
    buildings on the sides. It feels like a boulevard so it must be called a
    boulevard, right. Pat and Penny informed us that the skinny rock piled
    section just before the junction with the right fork is what is called
    Belfast Boulevard.

Can someone enlighten me as to how the tiny choke stone filled tight > section
    before the junction with the right fork came to be known as Belfast
    Boulevard? It sure doesn't feel like a street like the later portion does.

Luke

>
  5. Luke

Luke Guest

I apologize if it appeared ambiguous. Let me try to clarify for you and anyone else who might have been confused by my post.

I said exactly what you said, but maybe I was not clear. Your site, CUSA, does indeed list Belfast Boulevard as just up canyon of the right fork (east fork). So we are in agreement there.

Chris Brennen's site describes in detail a section DOWN Canyon of the junction with the right fork (east fork). And says Belfast is Down Canyon of that junction.

http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/leprec.htm

That seems to put it as clear as I can. I am trying to point out the difference between these two web listings and get some clarification.

Along with that I was adding my opinion about what I would feel is correct based on my feeling of the area and which place someone might want to name. The spot listed in CUSA is no different than any other narrow portion along the canyon. On the other hand, the spot described in Brennen's site is quite different in that it's walls bow out, there is a wide floor that can hold water at times and the ceiling is closed in giving a dark corridor feel. If someone were to name a section, they would generally name a spot that has a different look than everything else around it. That is why I tend to lean toward what Brennen calls Belfast Boulevard.

I apologize if I was unclear. I also apologize if pointing out the differences between the sites causes any ill feelings. I am only trying to clarify things for myself and anyone else that may be confused.

Which route description predates the other? Where did the original name come from? Anyone have some clues?

Luke

From: Yahoo Canyons Group [mailto:Yahoo Canyons Group] On Behalf Of TomJones Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 10:10 PM To: Yahoo Canyons Group Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Belfast Boulevard and padding

Your statement is somewhat ambiguous, Luke. A more reading of CUSA description would yield that BB is in the main fork just ABOVE the junction with the East Fork.

I have always considered it the flat-bottomed section that can be shimmied into as a hiker, and that does not involve clambering upward. Essentially, as far as a hiker can get up the main fork without a headlamp. With a headlamp, boulders in the slot are revealed that promise passage upward - which would intrigue a 'canyoneer', but not a hiker.

It is a good test of one's size, because if someone considers THAT skinny, they are going to have a difficult time in any actually skinny part of the canyon.

Tom

Tom's site lists Belfast Boulevard as being just before the junction with > the right fork (east fork).

> Chris Brennon's site lists Belfast Boulevard as below the junction with the > right fork and describes a beautiful spot we all found appealing.

> The narrow slot below the boulder falls and the junction with the right fork > is not appealing in any way and I am not sure why anyone would give that > spot a name at all. The spot slightly below the junction on the other hand > is quite captivating and I can see someone wanting to name it. For this > reason I want to lean toward the spot Brennen describes.

Luke

From: Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of > RAM > Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 8:32 PM > To: Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com

It is more the dark corridor right after the chockstones, but before the > East Fork. The name was from Hank and Shane? Those chockstones are quite > unstable. The passage thru that section changes regularly. I'm glad no one > was in the way when one of those changes occurred. Luke, thanks for all the > observations. I gotta thing that feeling Middle Lep (Shimrock) as tighter > had more to do with you on a given day. It is true that sand levels change, > especially in Shenanigan's, sometimes a few feet without it effecting > appearance, but definately effecting ease of passage for different body > types.
    Luke, how did the padding work? What did you use and do you have any of what > my kids used to call "badges of honor" scabs and scars? > Ram
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> , "Luke" > <luke@> wrote:

Lori and I thought the section with the high winding walls (almost subway
    like) after getting below the junction with the east fork was called > Belfast
    Boulevard. After all it feels like a big wide street with some high
    buildings on the sides. It feels like a boulevard so it must be called a
    boulevard, right. Pat and Penny informed us that the skinny rock piled
    section just before the junction with the right fork is what is called
    Belfast Boulevard.

Can someone enlighten me as to how the tiny choke stone filled tight > section
    before the junction with the right fork came to be known as Belfast
    Boulevard? It sure doesn't feel like a street like the later portion does.

Luke

>
  6. stefan

stefan Guest

and to quote climb-utah:

"Near the bottom of the canyon, after the junction of Middle and Left Fork there is a very deep and narrow slot that is referred to as Belfast Boulevard. A headlamp is required for this section because it is remarkably dark. There are sections in Belfast Boulevard where you must crawl under chokestones. After Belfast Boulevard the canyon joins up with the Right Fork at Leprechaun Junction."

stefan

On May 6, 2010, at 1:51 AM, Luke wrote:

> I apologize if it appeared ambiguous. Let me try to clarify for you and > anyone else who might have been confused by my post.

I said exactly what you said, but maybe I was not clear. Your site, CUSA, > does indeed list Belfast Boulevard as just up canyon of the right fork (east > fork). So we are in agreement there.

> Chris Brennen's site describes in detail a section DOWN Canyon of the > junction with the right fork (east fork). And says Belfast is Down Canyon > of that junction.
    http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/leprec.htm

> That seems to put it as clear as I can. I am trying to point out the > difference between these two web listings and get some clarification.

Along with that I was adding my opinion about what I would feel is correct > based on my feeling of the area and which place someone might want to name. > The spot listed in CUSA is no different than any other narrow portion along > the canyon. On the other hand, the spot described in Brennen's site is > quite different in that it's walls bow out, there is a wide floor that can > hold water at times and the ceiling is closed in giving a dark corridor > feel. If someone were to name a section, they would generally name a spot > that has a different look than everything else around it. That is why I > tend to lean toward what Brennen calls Belfast Boulevard.

I apologize if I was unclear. I also apologize if pointing out the > differences between the sites causes any ill feelings. I am only trying to > clarify things for myself and anyone else that may be confused.

Which route description predates the other? Where did the original name > come from? Anyone have some clues?
    Luke

From: Yahoo Canyons Group [mailto:Yahoo Canyons Group] On Behalf Of > TomJones > Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 10:10 PM > To: Yahoo Canyons Group

Your statement is somewhat ambiguous, Luke. A more reading of CUSA > description would yield that BB is in the main fork just ABOVE the junction > with the East Fork.
    I have always considered it the flat-bottomed section that can be shimmied > into as a hiker, and that does not involve clambering upward. Essentially, > as far as a hiker can get up the main fork without a headlamp. With a > headlamp, boulders in the slot are revealed that promise passage upward - > which would intrigue a 'canyoneer', but not a hiker.
    It is a good test of one's size, because if someone considers THAT skinny, > they are going to have a difficult time in any actually skinny part of the > canyon.
    Tom
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> , "Luke" > <luke@...> wrote: >
    > Ok don't mean to be a stickler here but.... >

> Tom's site lists Belfast Boulevard as being just before the junction with >> the right fork (east fork). >
    > http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/north/leptech.php

> Chris Brennon's site lists Belfast Boulevard as below the junction with > the >> right fork and describes a beautiful spot we all found appealing. >
    > http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/north/leptech.php

> The narrow slot below the boulder falls and the junction with the right > fork >> is not appealing in any way and I am not sure why anyone would give that >> spot a name at all. The spot slightly below the junction on the other hand >> is quite captivating and I can see someone wanting to name it. For this >> reason I want to lean toward the spot Brennen describes. >

> Any one want to chime in on this? >
    > Luke >

> From: Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com
    [mailto:Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> ] On > Behalf Of >> RAM >> Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 8:32 PM >> To: Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com
    > Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Belfast Boulevard and padding >

> It is more the dark corridor right after the chockstones, but before the >> East Fork. The name was from Hank and Shane? Those chockstones are quite >> unstable. The passage thru that section changes regularly. I'm glad no one >> was in the way when one of those changes occurred. Luke, thanks for all > the >> observations. I gotta thing that feeling Middle Lep (Shimrock) as tighter >> had more to do with you on a given day. It is true that sand levels > change, >> especially in Shenanigan's, sometimes a few feet without it effecting >> appearance, but definately effecting ease of passage for different body >> types. >
    > Luke, how did the padding work? What did you use and do you have any of > what >> my kids used to call "badges of honor" scabs and scars? >> Ram >
    > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com
    <mailto:canyons%40yahoogroups.com> , "Luke" >> <luke@> wrote: >>
    >> We were a bit confused when doing the Middle Fork of Leprechaun. >>
    >
    >
    >> Lori and I thought the section with the high winding walls (almost > subway >>> like) after getting below the junction with the east fork was called >> Belfast >>> Boulevard. After all it feels like a big wide street with some high >>> buildings on the sides. It feels like a boulevard so it must be called a >>> boulevard, right. Pat and Penny informed us that the skinny rock piled >>> section just before the junction with the right fork is what is called >>> Belfast Boulevard. >>
    >
    >
    >> Ok I get it we were wrong. J >>
    >
    >
    >> Can someone enlighten me as to how the tiny choke stone filled tight >> section >>> before the junction with the right fork came to be known as Belfast >>> Boulevard? It sure doesn't feel like a street like the later portion > does. >>
    >
    >
    >> Any insight would be appreciated. >>
    >> Luke >>
    >
    >
    >> >>

> >

>

---
    When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier. You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:
    Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working?
    To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/
    > This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the &amp;amp;quot;Edit My > Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. Press &amp;amp;quot;Save > Changes&amp;amp;quot;.
    DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email > to you each day summarizing that day's messages.
    WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you > must visit the web site to view messages. Groups Links
    >