Send us a suggestion!

AZ: Grand Canyon Being Free in Cove Canyon (Oct 11 to 14, 2015)

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by ratagonia, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Other than from my experiences with Todd, he prefers quicker and direct routes rather than longer and roundabout routes. For example, to access Buckfarm, I knew of an easier route in (or at least a less scary route in), but he took us on what I call the "Ledges if Death" because it was quicker. ;)

Edit: I was speaking of Todd Martin; not the other Todd.

Anyway, when I get home, I will try and mark the route we took (assuming it still exist) on a map. At the time at least, it was easier than the Lava Falls route, but I don't know that's still the case.

I can't imagine that the route doesn't exist anymore, even if the trail has deteriorated a lot since then. By off trail Grand Canyon standards, it was pretty straight foreward.

We found the route from the bottom up. I think it was George Steck told us of the route, but I think it was second hand. I'd have to check if that green line is the way we took up from the Supai. That was a long time ago.

Also, years ago, I told Kelsey about the routes we did and he put them in his book (though he mismarked Stairway Canyon in some additions and instead marked it as what is actually Willow!). If anyone has the Kelsey books, maybe try and match that to the routes. He never did so Stairway, but he did do the route to the river near Cove. I just assumed he used our route, but maybe he used Todd's. I'm away from home now and can't check the book.

I never thought of it before since I just assumed everyone was using the same route we did. It wasn't until reading though this thread yesterday that I noticed that the two routes were different.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  2. Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

It wasn't very wet in October. Supai was bone dry and even water in the Redwall was very thin. Nothing like pictures I'd seen from others.

Dan, the route I exited is pretty much the red to the green. I did think it was pretty straight forward, definitely a few light climbing moves. The only sketchy part for me was the red ball bearings, just below the base of the Supai cliff, as described above. Two others in my party did their sliding a bit below that, but picked a different line (straight up) to the cliff. This is all within about 150 yards of the red/green intersection.