Send us a suggestion!

Tech Tip: Question Beginning Canyoning Rope

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Alex Reeves, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Alex Reeves

Alex Reeves

I'm just starting to get into canyoning and am loving it so far. However, I've had to use borrowed ropes so far - from people I trust to have kept their ropes in good condition, for what it's worth. I'm looking at getting my own rope, particularly one that would be suitable for someone with experience climbing/belaying and rappelling but is new to canyoning. Money isn't a huge concern, but I'd still prefer not to break the bank.

Do you have recommendations for what ropes I should consider? I've been looking into Imlay's Canyon Fire and Canyonero ropes, which both seem pretty attractive, but I wanted to ask people with more experience in case I'm missing something. Preferably, whatever rope I end up with should be suitable for both developing my skills and transitioning to more advanced descents. Thanks for your help!
  2. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

The Imlay Canyon Fire is a great place to start. It's a great value and a good performer, a good working rope.

(shameless plug)
    For a skinnier high performance upgrade when your experience and adventures take you farther from the road, check out my Grand rope. Coming soon to atwood-gear.com
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    ratagonia likes this.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

4. Rapterman

Rapterman

What they said
    Canyon fire: great rope, great value.
    John Styrnol and Dave Melton like this.