Send us a suggestion!

Beautiful Darandash Canyon! My first Canyoning and My first deadly fall!

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Salman Mohammadi, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Salman Mohammadi

Salman Mohammadi Salman

Beautiful Darandash Canyon! My first Canyoning and My first deadly fall!

This is my fall story on 27th June 2014

Well I was climbing for two years. I have seen some awesome pictures from this canyon. It was fascinating! Rock climbers here had and have a misunderstanding about canyons. They think it is just some rappelling among waterfalls. I found that our climbing team accepted to take some 20 people down this canyon. Yes it took me just a sentence “I’m in too!” Fridays here are like your Sundays! Thursday I went to do some climbing near Tabriz city we call Eynali! I saw a well-known climber, Davood Lotfi. I saw he is teaching some strange methods on the wall. I greeted and watched eagerly. But our friends disliked this man. Because he was more experienced and they put a distance with him to be out of his big shadow! But I liked him. He invited me to see their technics they called canyoning but I had to go on with my own friends and I thought to be with them the other week.

The next day we got on buses and went to the Darandash village. We hiked down a MOUNTAIN DOWN to the canyon. It was fantastic. Well we are Muslim and no chance to see girl climbers! Confess that seeing them gave us some kind of manhood proud of being technical climbers! Just more like some drunken! We rappelled down some waterfalls. They were beautifull. I even didn’t watch the anchors. We reached a nameless big rock (now canyoneers call it Salman Rock! Because of my fall). Two people had rappelled down and I was bored of waiting for others to go down. One of those “experienced climbers” had rigged the anchor and the other was watching people to rappel. I asked to rappel and he accepted. I didn’t look at the anchor. I threaded my fig 8 like a commando and started to rappel! There was a sudden move in rope! I thought it was just a slack and tension! I smiled! But I had no chance to see I was falling. I hit the ground and couldn’t move! I couldn’t move my leg! I couldn’t feel them! My friend came to me and asked me to get up! Then I was thinking about my spine cord and my family! They got me some tramadol from a junky. They were begging me not to tell anyone about anchor failure!! When I waked I saw they layed me on a well bedded ladder and wrapped with ropes. They pulled me up that rock! Then a long and steep way up to the cars! I asked them to wait for mountain rescuers but they didn’t listened to me. I was worried about their own safety and my spine! I had broken my right wrist too. After a while we could see Red Crescent helicopter flying around but it was too big to enter the valley. I shoes were too old! I asked them to take them off. Meanwhile my toes touched the rope and I felt them! It was such fantastic news for me! My cord was ok! The cord was knocked by broken lumber vertebrae and my legs were motionless. I could feel very bad pain on the right side of my back begging them to keep me on my left. But I could feel ribs pushing my lunges! But it was better than hurting right side. Finally we reached to a flat area among farms and helicopter landed. Ali Agha Seyyedi the rescuers’ chief checked my toes feeling and I told him some joke about tickling! Knowing everything will be ok gave me some kind of fun and happiness.

I had insurance and the hospital ( AliNasab) recommended a doctor to cure me but she doctor asked illegally extra money to operate surgery on my spine! But I give the money to a better doctor and he implanted two Harington rods with 8 screws to stabilize my lumber. Another orthopedist pinned my wrist bones together again! My right wrist experienced its 3rd broken bone!

I had bad experience with ICU nurses who didn’t care about sick people and I was almost stifled by my own saliva and drugs in my throat! Well my wife got a good physiotherapist and he helped me to move my legs again.

It was 6 days after surgery that my daughter and wife went out to shop and my cousin called me that he is coming with my aunt to visit me! It was terrifying for me! There was nobody to open the door. I remembered Joe Simpson’s Touching the Void (movie)! I just told to myself: “You are climber! Get up! Just don’t care about the pain like what Joe had done! Remember Aron Rulston! Just get up! You are a climber!”

I got up and grabbed the chairs around to the door! Well my cousin helped me back to the bed! But then I was more daring walking and pushing away the fear of pain!

Now I am climbing and canyoning with that guide Davood Lotfi! I knew canyoning is something special! I love it. Our that so called climbing team dispersed and in our city climber learned that canyoning is a special different thing that needs special education!

My friends in climbing teams helped my family. And my employer gave me loan to pay that doctor! I thanked my former team for transporting me out of that canyon though that couldn’t stop me from discussing climbing accidents!

I have established a Telegram channel to discuss climbing accident and this helped young climbers to be more careful and now I have a blog and another Telegram channel through which I publish my translations on climbing technics and tips.

Thanks friends reading this.

Climb and Canyon safe!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The man in black! It's me!
    [​IMG]
    This is the rock! End of the fun!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Signaling the Helicopter!
    [​IMG]
    Seyyed Ali Agha Seyyedi the mountain Guide(Chief Rescuer)! He is now head of Iranian Mountaineering Federation Branch in Eastern Azerbaijan Province
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Up and walk again! Here is Eynaly Mount where there is a wall we call it Ilan Uchan (meaning: Place where Snake flys)
  2. Downward Bound

Downward Bound

Amazing story. Glad it ends well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Salman Mohammadi and Kuenn like this.
  3. Kuenn

Kuenn

Fascinating! Very glad you lived to tell about it, heal, and "get back on that horse".

This made me smile. :)

Cultural and religious differences aside, the blending of X and Y chromosomes is blurred in many activities and places in this amazing world. And never more transparent than in vertical sports.... where a mutual respect for knowledge, skill, talent, etc. is gender neutral.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  4. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Wow! That's wild...

Good story and lessons learned!

(I believe I have a rug from Tabriz...very nice!).

Cheers!
    Salman Mohammadi likes this.
  5. Salman Mohammadi

Salman Mohammadi Salman

Brian in SLC, Nice! My mother was a villager she weaved rugs. My dad didn't support me and I had to weave carpet to support my own live!! Though Tabriz is a Azeri Turkish Capital city best carpets that you know as Persian carpets are produced here. There is difference between Farsi Speakers carpets with carpets produced by Iranian Azeri Turks.We call it Turkish Weaved (Turk Baft).
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    Brian in SLC likes this.
  6. Salman Mohammadi

Salman Mohammadi Salman

Right! here that Authorities isolate X and Y there is more problems! Next time we took a bigger team to that canyon we had to help Xs! I had to make emergency harness for them and I was more careful to be aware of myself and other Ys because of that fall event!
    Kuenn likes this.
  7. Canyonero

Canyonero

I see one helmet in all of the pictures...on the victim. What luck!
    Salman Mohammadi likes this.
  8. Salman Mohammadi

Salman Mohammadi Salman

yes! There is some people that take ordinary people to tour this canyon. They are not even climbers and they take Aluminum ladders with them to the very end of the canyon and climb up the waterfalls with ladder. this very strange thing too was another lucky thing for me! Our friends borrowed one piece of their ladder to stabilize and fix me on the ladder and save my spine! The water here contains chinese soil and the water is milky and even stones have white shell! contrary to canyoneers climbers never take helmets to save helmets from that soil instead of their heads from the stone!!! I have no idea where this helmet had come from that day! Even they take old ropes to use there! When i was able to climb I went there with experienced canyoneers especially with our sole canyon guide Mr Davood Lotfi he lead us as a team of soldier! Everything was in strict control. He tried to teach me about waterfalls! For the first time I notice that some little stones moves inside water! Though we couldn't persuade rock climbers to adopt canyoning technics to tour the canyon and every year we saw some broken heads and legs there!
    There is a book I think or a quote about Newton: "God wanted Newton to survive!"
    I think about my life and I see that "God wanted me to survive too!"
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Brian in SLC likes this.