Send us a suggestion!

Beartrap Canyon

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Jim Swarthout, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Has anyone been through Beartrap Canyon in the Kolob area lately, and if so, what advice would you offer? I understand that the route includes considerable bushwhacking. Thanks in advance.
  2. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Jim Swarthout" <ngweyama@y...> wrote: > Has anyone been through Beartrap Canyon in the Kolob area lately, and > if so, what advice would you offer? I understand that the route > includes considerable bushwhacking. Thanks in advance.

Word is that there is some flow going thru the canyon now. How much, I don't know. Probably not bad. If I am to guess, the route you refer to goes up toward Chasm Lake (Brereton book) before dropping into Beartrap. There is one rap down low in Beartrap. Joe B. said (Joe?) that they rigged it from the top, rather than the somewhat scary traverse out to the right. The rap is short. 20 feet or so. When going over the pass into Beartrap, there is a section of oak gambol forest which is unavoidable. It is a bit of a pain, but short. I personally find this canyon shows best in the fall. October in particular, in the average year. The area is full of deciduous trees and the colors are awesome. R
  3. JoeB

JoeB Guest

Sorry for the cross-post-response... :) Here's my little write-up from last October: http://www.citrusmilo.com/joe/zion/btloop_desc.cfm

I'd be curious to hear of all of that Spring runoff created a new fun logjam in the lower section. Beartrap was clogged a few years back with a deer carcass floating around in the pond. Yum!

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@a...> wrote: > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Jim Swarthout" <ngweyama@y...> wrote:
    Has anyone been through Beartrap Canyon in the Kolob area lately, > and
    if so, what advice would you offer? I understand that the route
    includes considerable bushwhacking. Thanks in advance.
    Word is that there is some flow going thru the canyon now. How much, I > don't know. Probably not bad. If I am to guess, the route you refer to > goes up toward Chasm Lake (Brereton book) before dropping into > Beartrap. There is one rap down low in Beartrap. Joe B. said (Joe?) > that they rigged it from the top, rather than the somewhat scary > traverse out to the right. The rap is short. 20 feet or so. When going > over the pass into Beartrap, there is a section of oak gambol forest > which is unavoidable. It is a bit of a pain, but short. I personally > find this canyon shows best in the fall. October in particular, in the > average year. The area is full of deciduous trees and the colors are > awesome. > R
  4. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "JoeB" <joe@c...> wrote: Beartrap was clogged a few years > back with a deer carcass floating around in the pond. Yum!

Are you in sales? Where do I sign up ??? ;-) R
  5. JoeB

JoeB Guest

Heh heh - we never did make it to the falls that year. (2000, 2001? I can't remember.) I almost tossed my cookies!

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@a...> wrote: > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "JoeB" <joe@c...> wrote: > Beartrap was clogged a few years
    back with a deer carcass floating around in the pond. Yum!
    Are you in sales? Where do I sign up ??? ;-) > R