Send us a suggestion!

Bear Creek and Sundance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by qedcook, Apr 29, 2017.

1. qedcook

qedcook

Is it too early in the season right now for these Arizona canyons? I'm going next weekend. Also, camping near the area?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Ram

Ram

I am more concerned about West Clear Creek passage than these individual canyons per say, although May usually OK.. Sundance can be checked out before, with a bit of scouting. Bear is harder to gleam, but the better and waaaay longer, if less spectacular canyon. I like it much better, but prepare for COLD!!. ALL the pieces can be evaluated with some effort, if no one provides first hand" info. Good luck and safe passage. Sounds like a fun "discovery." process. BTW if the road is in OK shape, it still involves sharp lava rocks. Go with good tires, a good spare, a "fix a flat" option and patience. No need for a helicopter.
    yetigonecrazy1 and MrAdam like this.
  3. qedcook

qedcook

Any recommendations for other canyons to do in the Phoenix area?
  4. Southern Canyoneer

Southern Canyoneer Desert Hiker

Were heading out in 2 weeks to Arizona and some of the same canyons so would love trip reports with whatever you do.
  5. Taylor

Taylor

Parker Creek, Salome Jug. Todd Martin has a book...
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

Friends did Sundance yesterday. A lot of water that is very cold.

Tom
    Southern Canyoneer likes this.
  7. MrAdam

MrAdam

The gauge for West Clear Creek is at 21 CFS, totally reasonable flow to hike in. As everyone else mentioned, those canyons will be very cold this time of year.

Parker Creek and The Jug are both still flowing decently and well worth doing right now, although the exit hikes will be a HOT!
  8. pyle762

pyle762

Only 21 CFS coming down to the Verde right now, so it looks like most of the snow runoff has "runoft"

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/uv/?site_no=09505800&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Kate Woods likes this.
  9. pyle762

pyle762

Sorry double tap
  10. qedcook

qedcook

Of course, now that I've bought the ticket, the weather's turning bad. Are any of the canyons near Phoenix less flashflood prone or safer when there's a chance of rain? Probably a dumb question. I'm looking at punchbowl and the jug of salmone, or christopher creek.
  11. MrAdam

MrAdam

The Jug and Christopher Creek have HUGE watersheds and should be avoided if there is substantial rain in the forecast. Punchbowl...... well that will be absolutely hot and brutal on the approach this time of year.
  12. Ram

Ram

Too late for these?
    http://canyoncollective.com/threads/shaketree-2-15-17.24504/
    http://canyoncollective.com/threads/parker-canyon-2-14-17.24492/
    http://canyoncollective.com/threads/waterslides-2-12-17.24481/

Tatahatsu or Silver Grotto would be lovely

.....but really, Bear and Sundance would be fine. Water can only get so cold and they are very nice. Neighbors X-Pine and Wilber have less water, if you insist.
  13. Kate Woods

Kate Woods Kate Duffy

I totally second Ram on waterslides, total riot. Last year I did Sundance in late April with a full inch of ice on it. It's been a warmer year, but damn its cold until July. I'm if too late hope it was awesome!