Send us a suggestion!

Beal Escaper

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Brian in SLC, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Yellow Dart and LonePeak like this.
  2. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Reasonable if you've got LOS on the anchor, which is far from guaranteed in any given gorge. Some places, I smell coreshot...

Interesting. Though I think I'll stick to fiddlin'.
    [​IMG]
    Rapterman likes this.
  3. Craig

Craig Feeling My Way

As a wise man once said, "Oh my God!"
    Rapterman likes this.
  4. Taylor

Taylor

Hmmm...
    Rapterman likes this.
  5. Canyon Monkey

Canyon Monkey Useful Idiot

Does not look like it is currently available.
  6. AW~

AW~

7. Rapterman

Rapterman

I call BS :poop:
    The 'demonstrator' does not trust it with his life-
    at 1:50 he puts an overhand back up on the tail to keep the braid from sliding off-
    which would keep it from releasing
    :thumbsdown:
    Moab Mark, Kuenn and LonePeak like this.
  8. Natetronn

Natetronn

We've been discussing this over on Mountain Project. I can't post links, as I'm new (that's what it said when I signed up, anyway) so find it there in the gear discussion if interested.

I believe he's doing this for his second. The second (or last down) will untie the overhand and rappel down. Similar to how the last person down would take out the carabiners of the fiddlestick/smooth or whatever.

Ultimately, it's a poorly made video. The Escaper is interesting, nonetheless.
    Rapterman likes this.
  9. Rapterman

Rapterman

I will be more impressed when the creators take their device through 30 or 40 canyons
    and beat the HECK out of it, then demo how it will function when wet, sandy, and half shredded
    like every other piece of gear we rely on.
    :D
    Kuenn, ratagonia and joeb like this.
  10. Steve Kugath

Steve Kugath

Played with the Beal Escaper 5-6 times at the last OR show in SLC. An interesting tool...misused or used in the wrong circumstance (think hammer) and you can end up with a big owie! I'm interested in testing one out in the canyons (without a back up overhand knot...nice catch Rapterman) but will start off with short raps and on some inconsequential (down climbable) slabs to experience it's boundaries. We won't really know until we play with it a bunch...I may be naive but I'm assuming it has gone through some pretty rigorous testing already...has yet to make it to a retailer near you however...rumor has it January 2018. Another link from the OR show demoing it's use: http://www.thealpinestart.com/2017/08/summer-2017-climbing-gear/
    Rapterman likes this.
  11. Rapterman

Rapterman

You might be amazed/dismayed/horrified to know how much (as in lack of) testing goes in to some climbing/ safety gear.
    We ASSUME the Beal Escaper has been tested on CLIMBING ropes, but new, skinny canyoneering ropes????
    When they provide the list of all the descents on the craigs and in the Alps (on all the different rope diameters) that a
    single Escaper has been through and then a picture of the actual ratty-tatty unit then I will be more impressed...
  12. ratagonia

ratagonia

And really, what problem are you trying to solve? that has not been otherwise solved by safer, more reliable means?

Tom
    Rapterman and Kuenn like this.
  13. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

Competition for the 2018 EuroVision EPF* Award is said to be intense this year.

*Engineering Pleasure Function
  14. GravityWins

GravityWins

If anyone does acquire one of these I'd be very interested in video of the Escaper as a gaggle of new rappelers go down. It would be nice to know how rap style affects it's function. Perhaps as others have suggested it will be safetied off for all but the last person. Since I already own a reliable retrievable system this is not gear I don't see a purchase in my future.
    Rapterman and ratagonia like this.
  15. Steve Kugath

Steve Kugath

Agree with most of the above....but.... innovative leaps and adaptation have always involved risk (physical, financial, mental). Who would want to rap off a pile of sand or a bag of water;) My hats off actually to all those have looked at problems and sought solutions.

This device may in some form be found on every canyoneer's harness someday. Perhaps the Escaper may be a catalyst for some other, perhaps safer, more durable innovation down the road. Pitons work great in this crack right....why would I want some camming doohickey that costs 7 times as much to protect a climb? Why develop the car ..... a horse gets me where I want to go just fine! Funny what people once said about cars in their early stages of development...described typically as deathtraps.

Again I'm not buying stock in Beal expecting a huge windfall in dividends off the Escaper...however, I am open to trying new devices and exploring their possibilities (in my own controlled setting sort of way). $50 seems worth it for the learning and experimentation. I do own probably 10-15 non-traditional rappel devices (including several created and developed by members of the collective)...from their use I've always learned something and have developed preferences and differing techniques. Will I be the first to Rap the last drop in Heaps utilizing "The Escaper"...nope!

Thanks all for distracting me from grading final projects and exams...going a bit stir crazy in the office...canyoncollective is always a nice diversion:)

Have a wonderful Christmas all!

For those off to Freezefest soon keep warm!

SK

PS- Any of you recall a film depicting a couple of alpinists from earlier times who are escaping a steep mountain face. There is no talking in this film...just the howling of the wind. As they descend the steep rock they have to keep cutting off part of their hemp rope to build anchors or pieces of rope when it gets jammed. After many rappels they look down at their rope which has shrunk to maybe 30 feet or so...they take a look over the edge only to find their rope is nowhere long enough to reach the next level down. They look at each other, rope in hand, and just sit there against a rock (presumably to die)...and the movie ends right there! Maybe, just maybe, had they had the "Escaper" the ending wouldn't have come so abruptly...or maybe the Escaper fails and we see one guy plummet to his death; the other guy sitting up against the rock counting his time down:) Anyone recall this short 15 minute or so film...part of the Banff or Telluride film tour a number of years ago.
    Rapterman likes this.
  16. ratagonia

ratagonia

Haven't seen or heard of that film, but...

Had some friends in Alaska (names withheld by request) ended up in that situation. Rapping down a face in a big storm, very limited visibility. Out of rope. They jumped.

Into deep snow at a steep angle. Cracked some ribs, but otherwise OK.

(YMMV, in fact, your mileage will most likely not come out anywhere near this well).

T
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  17. ratagonia

ratagonia

Rapterman likes this.
  18. Steve Kugath

Steve Kugath

Amazing....when all other options are out of play incredible what we can push ourselves to do!

Actually found the Movie I described above on youtube. A bit different from what I had recalled. Much later in time than the hemp rope era...full nylon. It's a polish film from 1963 titled: Odwrót (meaning retreat). can be found at:

Not quite the ending I recall either...I may have seen a remake actually of the original. Worth a watch! But no..."The Escaper" definitely wouldn't have helped this guy much;)

PS - Loved the organ music at the end! Was a Banff winner in 2004 but I originally saw it at the old Barry Corbet Film Festival (2006) Sponsored by Alpinist Magazine in Jackson Hole when Christian Beckwith, Alpinist's publisher, was back in Wyoming.
    Rapterman likes this.
  19. Amy K

Amy K

I know the Front Climbing Club in SLC is planning on selling the Beal Escaper. Spoke to the retail manager recently and he said he ordered them.
  20. Kuenn

Kuenn

Clever, but appears to be a niche gadget with a very narrow user-story. Would be interesting to see how it holds up to rigorous bouncing, as was recently demonstrated by Mall-Santa.

(See George Carlin's definition of left-handed cheese straightener.)
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Rapterman likes this.