Send us a suggestion!

Basic Canyoneering Skills

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Tom Jones, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

People often ask if they can go to their local rock climbing guide service to learn stuff in order to get started on technical canyoneering. I usually say "sort of". So now I'm thinking about what skills are required for this, as in, what is the curiculum that you, as a hiker, would hand to a guide and say "teach me this stuff".

Here's my starting list - what would you add, subtract, emphasize, push, denigrate, etc...

- Rappelling single and double strand on small (8mm) and large (10mm) ropes. - Using bolted anchors as rappel points. - Evaluating trees, chockstones and other natural anchors as rappel points. - Basic knots: tying two ropes together. Tying webbing into loops. - Wearing a helmet at all times. - Basic downclimbing, spotting and partner assists. - Intermediate Rappelling Skills: stopping hands-free on rappel, adding more friction while on rappel, setting the rope up so it will pull, overhangs, rappelling with a heavy pack (dangling), not tearing up the rope!

Tom
  2. Hm, why re-invent the wheel? I think I would include the following skills listed: http://www.canyoneering.net/cyn_primer.html

Then followed by the following: http://www.canyoneering.net/cyn_basic.html

You could also throw in a couple 'free' workshops on anchors, potholes, etc. 'We' recently had a free ascending and knot passing clinic here in Vegas. The Las Vegas chapter (ACA) will be attending another 'free' self-rescue clinic here in Dec. So, my response, why in the world would you go to someone who does not canyoneer to learn to canyoneer? I once heard that Male Gynecologists are like mechanics who never owned a car. (just a thought)

Neil

Tom Jones ratagoni@xmission.com> wrote:

People often ask if they can go to their local rock climbing guide service to learn stuff in order to get started on technical canyoneering. I usually say "sort of".

The all-new My – What will yours do?
  3. I think Tom's list of basic skills is a pretty good one. Some people don't have a canyon guide or ACA chapter near by but do have a rock climbing guide available. Although the climbing guide can teach belaying and rappelling most won't have a clue about canyon specific techniques. So if you're thinking about hiring a local climbing guide for a day or two realize that:

1. He can teach you how to rappel just fine. If he's good he will know how to teach a basic tie off and how to add friction but might not. Remember, these guys always rap on doubled ropes. I doubt he will really understand the use of single rope technique and blocks.

2. He can probably explain the basics of how bolted anchors work but how about when you come across these anchors in crappy sandstone?

3. Evaluating tree's etc. as anchors shouldn't be too much to ask.

4. I would hope a good climbing guide would teach the importance of a helmet.

5. Most climbing guides understand spotting as it pertains to bouldering but probably don't have any idea what a thigh belay is.

So I'd have a hard time arguing with Neil's point. The ACA Technical Canyoneering course is about as good a value as you can get. Three days learning from a qualified instructor in a fun filled environment. Pretty hard to beat.

Charly

-----Original Message----- From: Tom Jones [mailto:ratagoni@xmission.com] Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 10:05 PM To: Yahoo Canyons Group Subject: [from Canyons Group] Basic Canyoneering Skills

People often ask if they can go to their local rock climbing guide service to learn stuff in order to get started on technical canyoneering. I usually say "sort of". So now I'm thinking about what skills are required for this, as in, what is the curiculum that you, as a hiker, would hand to a guide and say "teach me this stuff".

Here's my starting list - what would you add, subtract, emphasize, push, denigrate, etc...

- Rappelling single and double strand on small (8mm) and large (10mm) ropes. - Using bolted anchors as rappel points. - Evaluating trees, chockstones and other natural anchors as rappel points. - Basic knots: tying two ropes together. Tying webbing into loops. - Wearing a helmet at all times. - Basic downclimbing, spotting and partner assists. - Intermediate Rappelling Skills: stopping hands-free on rappel, adding more friction while on rappel, setting the rope up so it will pull, overhangs, rappelling with a heavy pack (dangling), not tearing up the rope!

Tom

When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier. You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:

Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working?

Bombastic Bolt Debates are allowed to only a limited extent. Folks should go to the Canyoneer Group for a truly un-moderated forum. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyoneer

To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the "Edit My Membership" link, and change your delivery option. Press "Save Changes".

DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email to you each day summarizing that day's messages.

WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you must visit the web site to view messages.

Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

---------- -- Groups Links

a.. To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: canyons-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

c.. Your use of Groups is subject to the Terms of Service.