Send us a suggestion!

AZ: Grand Canyon Badger Creek, 1st Grand Canyon

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by MTN_DUDE, Mar 19, 2013.

1. MTN_DUDE

MTN_DUDE

This was my first trip into the Grand Canyon for canyoneering. Started out small with a short day trip through Badger Creek in Marble Canyon.

The scale of the Grand Canyon is so superior, in my mind, to other places in the world. IT'S HUGE! John Wesley Powell was right in his comment on you can't see the Grand Canyon in one trip, but have to toil from month to month to see the Labrythn of the canyon (or how ever he said it). I'm jealous of the guys in that did the Last of the Great Unknown and wrote the Grand Canyoneering book. Very awesome stuff.

Anyways, Badger was a nice introduction to the Grand Canyon. The "narrows" of Badger I really liked. Just huge cliffs, towering on either side of you. Once I got to the Colorado, I felt small.

The rappels were fun in the canyon. We had to build a few of the anchors, they had weakened considerably from the last time someone was down there.

I didn't care much for the hike out in Badger. We took the southerly exit, not sure which one is better. But that climb out was brutal to me. then again it was early in my canyoneering career.

2. Cameron

Cameron Long Tall Texan by birth

Thanks for posting. I am doing some beta research on this canyon as I am doing this week.
    Eroni and Ram like this.
  3. Erik B.

Erik B. Thirsty for canyon...

You aernt alone in that opinion. I've heard both exits are very strenuous. We took the downstream exit and were shocked to find that the route required a few moves of low 5th class. I'll be the first to admit that we skimmed the beta. whoops... selective reading. I was sold at "canyon" and only need to know how long and longest rap after that. :) Fortunately we had some climbers in our party that belayed the others up.
    Ram likes this.
  4. Ram

Ram

Yes there is about 20 feet of 5th class on the south exit. A fixed anchor adorns the spot too. Maybe 5.3 or 5.4 moves? If one were to go through the hassle of getting a permit for pack raft (I think it is required even for day trip? Rich? Anyone?) AND a permit for Jackass Canyon, from the Navajo's, one could descend Badger, then go to the river and up river above the Badger Rapid, a fair bit and cross the river in pool toys and then ascend Jackass making a wonderful through route. Oh and I think the south fork of Badger is better than the north fork VMMV

Badger. February 14th, 2009
    [​IMG]

Dripping rock
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

About a 1/4 mile up from the rapid
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking up Badger Canyon, over the avoided Badger rapid, Jackass canyon at my back
    [​IMG]

Going up Jackass
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A pretty little canyon. Fun and easy scrambling
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    townsend likes this.
  5. Cameron

Ram, is that top pic the climb out you are talking about?
  6. Ram

Ram

Nope. Not the exit. Much less dramatic than that. Caution still advised. Sorry, no pictures of the climb. Its a 10 foot dihedral corner to a sloping ledge, with a shorter and easier problem right after that.
  7. Cameron

Thanks Ram, I saw that and didn't think it was that bad....especially after some of the things people have been taking me on lately! (regarding that pic above)

I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew in any situation. I feel good about all aspects of Badger except the slog out...I want to make sure and be safe on the climb out.

I did find this pic Erik B posted awhile back of a downstream climb out of Badger....does this look familiar? DSCN8461.JPG
    Ram likes this.
  8. Erik B.

We ascended a ledge system on the FAR FAR left side of that photo. Our route may not even be just out of frame (left). I remember looking at that, looking down at the GPS, back at that, and again at the GPS and thinking.....yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.....hmmmmmmm.....
    Ram likes this.
  9. Cameron

I would do the same!

Maybe the upstream option is best!
  10. John Diener

John Diener

Not a great photo, but here's the crux from above. Ram's description is good. May need to wander the ledges back and forth to find the easiest route. As can be seen, when we were there, a handline was in place (fisherman?).

P1010619_crop.
    Ram likes this.
  11. Erik B.

That photo is very helpful! I definitely went to the wrong weakness in the rock. I never saw a bolt and the crux for us was at the very top (way way way off the ground). Whoops.

I guess the day needed a little extra spice.
  12. Cameron

okay that doesn't look bad at all.....just gotta make sure and find it :)
    Ram and Eroni like this.
  13. John Styrnol

John Styrnol

Isn't that always the case.:twothumbs:
  14. Cameron

Just for folks like me that do beta hunting for stuff....next time you come to this thread....this is that hike out....keeping in mind that the handline could be gone......so while its not a difficult climb...its a climb...and someone in your group needs to be able to do it...and comfortable belay those who are...in case that handline isn't there.
    IMG_4505.JPG IMG_4506.JPG 409075_2878842204063_1789947095_n.
    John Diener likes this.