Send us a suggestion!

Avoiding rope damage when pulling your biner block

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by baffledsloth, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Rapterman

Rapterman

Hi Not Bob
    Yes, it is weird to know that dyneema/spectra are a 'type' of plastic.
    What in heaven's name are you making with all that plastic fabric?
    :D
  2. LonePeak

LonePeak

I understand this is supporting information for a prior post with a different application. However, the rope is now bending over a much tighter radius, losing strength. The EDK or offset overhand follow-through will hold fine, and can be backed up for peace of mind.

On a similar note, will any future COGs have sharp or rounded edges?
  3. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

<bump> @NotBob @Paul Peterson
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Yellow Dart likes this.
  4. Fat Canyoner

Fat Canyoner T2

I'm really keen to hear what happened with the COG as well. I've never seen the wear issue, but if a little piece of plastic can prevent it happening it seems like a great addition to the kit.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

NotBob sent me a couple samples.

I pondered. I contemplated. Is this REALLY a problem that requires a hardware solution?

The answer I reached is "no'. It has been a long time since I scrunched a rope that way, as in, a very long time. There are other solutions available that also are solutions to other problems, like: FiddleStick; rappel double strand; use an edk knot block; make the webbing longer. I know people think I am an elitist when I say this, but if you scrunch your rope this way, it is because your technique needs some work. And a LOT of the technique that needs work is Situational Awareness, to notice that on this particular rappel, set up the way you just set it up, you are going to scrunch your rope, so you should set it up differently.

Your opinion may be different.

Tom
  6. Fat Canyoner

Fat Canyoner T2

Thanks Tom. It's not a problem I'd seen, but I do love an innovative solution. And given I'm pushing the SRT bandwagon with everyone I canyon with (as you know, Australia is still very much land of the toss and go), it was worth examining this idea.
    I take my fiddlestick on most trips these days. There are canyons where people normally do them as two raps with awkward pulldowns, and I can combine them into a single drop with an easy pull.
    I find most canyon situations can be improved in one of three ways: improving skills, improving equipment, or changing the canyon (i.e. bolting etc). I'm a firm believer in exhausting the options for the first two before considering the third.
    hank moon likes this.