Send us a suggestion!

Atwood Grand Rope

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by NevadaSlots, Sep 2, 2019.

1. NevadaSlots

NevadaSlots

Looking for comments on the Atwood grand rope, obviously the specs are incredible. What does the field say? Any comments on... durability, sheath slippage, handling etc?
  2. jsb4g

jsb4g

Bootboy, when you see this thread, pleas check your inbox. To the OP, I don't have experience with Grand.
  3. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Have 4 of them of various length currently in rotation.

When brand new, very fast, be sure to be able to add friction on all raps regardless of length.

Haven't noticed any slippage at all. Very hydrophobic, which is awesome for us Zioneers.

It's the equivalent of the Bluewater 8mm Canyon Pro, but costs less, and supports @Bootboy 's canyon addiction. :happy:
    Bootboy and ratagonia like this.
  4. Canyonero

Canyonero

I've used it. It's light and feels good. I now have a core shot. I don't know how many canyons (at least a dozen) or rappels (hundreds) are on it or how the core shot came exactly, but it is clearly not indestructible. It is not the most durable rope I own (that would be Imlay Canyonero) but it feels about half the weight.

I think it's ideal for a 2-3 man crew going to a canyon with a long approach and much less than ideal for a trip down Pine Creek with a dozen Boy Scouts.

I'll certainly buy more. I'm told the newer version has an even more dense sheath than my rope.
    Bootboy likes this.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

I get 3.125 pounds per 100 feet for the Grand rope.
    CFire I measure as 3.85 pounds per 100 feet.
    CYero as 4.27 punds per 100 feet.

The Grand rope is also much more compact than Canyon Fire. CanyoneeringUSA will have it for sale once we figure out an efficient way to get a nice end on it.

Tom
    Blake J and Ali Miller like this.
  6. jsb4g

jsb4g

Isn't Pine Creek limited to groups of 6? I sure hope you politely let everyone that has 6 or less play through when you have 12 Boy Scouts in Pine Creek.
  7. Canyon Monkey

Canyon Monkey Useful Idiot

You are incorrect. Pine Creek allows up to a group of 12 in a single party and up to 60 people per day through it.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

There are a few canyons in the Primitive Zone that allow a party size up to 12 - Pine Creek, Subway, Orderville, Keyhole? Most of the year Pine Creek has a 60 person limit, but with the nesting season over, they move it up to 80 people. Those 80 slots were taken this past Saturday and Sunday!!! That does not mean that 80 people show up...

Tom
    Canyon Monkey likes this.
  9. ratagonia

ratagonia

The largest, slowest, least-equipped groups are often the ones that are least generous in letting people pass.

Don't blame "Boy Scouts" - not necessarily correlated with 'the problem'.

Tom
    YoungBuck and Jman like this.
  10. ratagonia

ratagonia

Ropes. The Atwood Canyon Rope. This thread about is...

Jus' sayin'...
  11. jsb4g

jsb4g

You are right. I stand corrected. I have a anti-large group bias. And Tom is right, I have never knowingly encountered a group of boy scouts, so the Boy Scouts" aren't the issue. I did pass two groups of 15+ in Subway earlier this year. One didn't want to let four people by until the last rappel when the "leader" acknowledged to me that he "did not know how to rig the rappel and wanted to see me do it first." Not sure how he "rigged" the other ones.
    ratagonia likes this.
  12. jsb4g

jsb4g

Sorry, wasn't my intent to hijack it... Bowing out of the thread for now. :)
    ratagonia likes this.
  13. ratagonia

ratagonia

Yellow Dart and Bootboy like this.
  14. Canyonero

Canyonero

What's funny is that our group PASSES other groups. 12 doesn't have to be slow when leadership is competent and all participants have been adequately prepared for the experience. (I take them all out and make them rappel 6+ times before they can go down a canyon with me.) I've had my group of 12 "stuck" behind groups of 4-6 relatively incompetent canyoneers. Even belaying every rappeler from the top we were faster.
    KBDave likes this.
  15. Canyonero

Canyonero

Okay, maybe not half. It really doesn't seem that much more by the numbers, but it's noticeably bigger enough that most people given the choice won't take the bigger rope for their own packs!
  16. Canyonero

Canyonero

"Boy Scouts" will be even less of a problem in coming years now that most Boy Scout troops in Utah are closing this year. At any rate, I agree the problem isn't "Boy Scouts" but any large group with inadequately prepared/efficient leadership and participants. I once descended Pine Creek entirely on other groups' ropes as we played through each group the entire way own the canyon.
  17. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

Seems like the initial run of Grand rope in the darker green wasnt quite as durable but subsequent batches have improved. It's my go to rope for a backpacking trip where size and weight add up. Now if only we could get some of those Grand Canyon routes on Navajo land back open to use this rope...
  18. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

19. Jolly Green

Jolly Green

I missed that update Hank. You made my day. Thanks!
    hank moon likes this.
  20. NorthBound

NorthBound

Hey Tom, for giggles, what is the breaking strength on the grand? Also on your website its mention a yellow color, but no way to choose between the two color schemes. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk