Send us a suggestion!

Astral Rassler a nice alternative to the 5.10 canyoneer

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Southern Canyoneer, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Southern Canyoneer

Southern Canyoneer Desert Hiker

So I have been canyoneering for a couple of years now.

I have thought the 5.10 canyoneer was a good canyoneering shoe but find it a bit bulky, heavy and the buckling straps bad design. Being that I stand up paddle board as well in the southeast I see a lot of folks wearing Astral Porters, Brewers, and for the real hardcore creek boaters the Rassler. I heard the 2013 model Rasslers uses the stealth rubber (I believe this is 5.10 rubber????) but 2014 this is not the case. So i decided to pick up a pair of the 2013 Rasslers on close out for $60 and put them through the test the other week up in WNC (Western North Carolina). Not Utah but still plenty of slick rocks.

I typically wear a size 8 shoe but because the water was so cold and because I know I'll use them out west bought the size 9 and my ZAC booties fit in them snug. Size up 1 complete size. The Rasslers don't have the ankle support as the 5.10 but I have always been a tennis shoe hiker anyways and don't really care about ankle support. Another feature is that they are simply lace ups and you can really tighten these things down.

These things stick on slick rock just as good as the 5.10 canyoneer if not better!!!!!

One of my other issues with the 5.10 was that after an entire day wearing them for a hike in, going down canyon, and rock hopping on the way out my toes always were very sore at the end of the day from smashing into the front wall of the boot. The Rasslers feel like a regular tennis shoe that you can snug tight and very very light and the rubber I believe is just as sticky if not more.

So just fyi....thats my 2 cents worth...not here to bash 5.10 but offering up a real nice alternative if your suffering from some of the same issues I may be from my 5.10 canyoneers or if your looking for a lighter alternative.

Great thing is The Clymb has the 2013 Rasslers on sale right now for around $60. Check em out!

https://www.theclymb.com and then go under the "River Runners" section.

http://www.astraldesigns.com
    hank moon and ratagonia like this.
  2. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

Looks promising - thanks for the info!