Send us a suggestion!

Aspen slots?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Patterson, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

2. Sutitan

Sutitan

Possibly? There are definitely a ton of interesting features along the roaring fork (Devils Punch bowl), and ive camped up Lincoln Creek as well which had a few small falls/narrows. Ive never gone with the intention of looking for canyons, but there are definitely a few fun/small waterfalls that can be rappelled. Id be more curious to explore around Carbondale/Redstone/Basalt.
    Scott Patterson likes this.
  3. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1 yeti in the jungle

The geology in the greater Aspen area is varied (as you can imagine), and does allow for slot/narrow canyon formation. Outside of slots/narrows, there are other creeks in the area that don't have slots/narrows but still have waterfalls.

Sutitan is right, Lincoln Creek has a couple of gorges, the biggest being (what I always thought was called) the Devil's Punchbowls. The Grottos on the Roaring Fork are fun to play around in with low water but I wouldn't call them canyoning worthy. There aren't really any other gorges on the Fork down to Aspen, just large boulder piles. I think Difficult Creek may have a waterfall or two hiding in it's narrow canyon but perhaps not and would be difficult access. Castle and Conundrum Creeks may have some small gorges up high, but that's just a guess. I know Snowmass Creek has some gorges but would be difficult until very lowest flows. There are some small, rough slots on the south side of Basalt mountain, especially in the Seven Castles area, but they are not great and lots of private property.

On the other side, in Crystal River country, Hays Creek is already popular. Thompson Creek looks good from geology and maps, but there just isn't anything there, every time it looks like its about to get good it doesn't. Avalanche Creek has some smaller gorges a ways up but lots of flow. I think Hawk Creek might have some narrow canyons (not slots) but access would be problematic. Big Kline Creek is in the neighborhood and possible similar geology. Coal Creek into Redstone looks like it has some very impressive waterfalls in it's upper basin. No slots or narrows of course. And then when you get up towards Marble you start getting into Crystal headwaters country, where there are deep gorges with some very high flows. Two worth checking out- Geneva Creek and the upper North Fork of the Crystal, above Lead King Basin. Lots of big falls and possible gorges.

Closer to Glenwood, there are a number of tiny fingerling ravines on the East side of CO-82, but they are very small, and possibly on private land, so not really worth the time unless you are dinking around in the area. There is a fun tiny canyon in Red Canyon, just south of Glenwood's city limits, its not on Red Canyon itself but is on a small side canyon, more of a 30 foot stunt rappel than anything else.

I think some canyons on the south side of Glenwood Canyon could have some interesting descents, but its thick in there and I don't think rewards would be that great.
    Scott Patterson likes this.
  4. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson