Send us a suggestion!

Tech Tip: Question Ascending potshot lines

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by Alias_Rice, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Alias_Rice

Alias_Rice

My apologies if this has been answered here and my searching skills didn't find it. But I am wondering how to ascend multiple pot shot lines if no single line will hold your entire weight and you no longer have the arm strength to ascend it hand over hand?

Would it work to partner assist as high as possible and then tie a loop in all lines and use it to step in and climb out? Still would be limited by the height of the pothole and would be tough in swimmer. Other than increasing my strength to weight ratio is there another way?, I don't know of any ascenders that would accept 3 lines, but perhaps this is the ticket?

Thanks for any advice.
  2. Blake Merrell

Blake Merrell Lovin' Utah's Backcountry

Prusik Knot is a good hitch that will grab multiple lines of rope.

Might want to look into how to attach multiple potshots to a single rope... Fun stuff! Good luck :D
    Canyonbug and Kuenn like this.
  3. Alias_Rice

Alias_Rice

Absolutely on the single line. However, I am guessing on a longer more complicated throws it would be a problem. a prusik is probably a good option though.
  4. Blake Merrell

Blake Merrell Lovin' Utah's Backcountry

As far as I know, the use of a Prusik (or similar hitch) is the only way to ascend multiple lines of rope (unless you had a mechanical ascender clipped to every line).
  5. Alias_Rice

Alias_Rice

Well it looks like I need to hit the backyard and give it some practice.
    Blake Merrell likes this.
  6. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

Batman usually works. Or, Prusik around all the ropes.

Common practice is to throw one potshot over, then using the other end of the rope attach another potshot. This has the minimum rope drag, and you have the bight below you with two strands. Repeat if needed. It helps to catch something on the other side.

I have also but a biner on the rope (free sliding) attached to another potshot, and held some rope/biner in my hand while throwing it over. You can then pull on the rope thus sliding the biner/weight down until it catches with the other potshot. You are left with a single strand and 2+ weighting it. Repeat. For longer/harder throws, however, this may not work.
    Kuenn likes this.
  7. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

If attempting to string potshots on a single line, you either must be able to easily make the toss, or have a means to retrieve each subsequent bag. It's gets messy pretty quickly if you come up short on follow up throws. The subsequent throws are harder, an important thing to remember, you're not as strong and there is more rope drag/weight. The first one should be the heaviest.

After some really difficult batman climbs, a technique that works well with good geometry and fresh arms, my preferred technique is now to throw all bags on separate lines (between 3 and 7, depending on circumstances), go into pothole, equalize all the lines, attach a VT or other friction hitch to all lines, attach etrier, slide it as high as I can reach with one hand while pulling myself as high as I can with my other hand. For *most potholes, this is sufficient.

In any case, aside from having adequate anchorage, I've learned by hard experience that the most important thing is to not go into any pothole without first having a plan. Assess the lip geometry, employ the most effective technique.

*water level within ~ 6' of the lip. If greater than that, a second friction hitch and etrier are employed