Send us a suggestion!

International Arethusa Canyon

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Fat Canyoner, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Fat Canyoner

Fat Canyoner Aussie canyoner

Arethusa Canyon is arguable the birthplace of canyoning (or canyoneering) in Australia. Nestled in the Blue Mountains, it had first been explored from the bottom by bushwalkers. Using tree roots that are long gone, they were able to climb up a waterfall and enter the canyon from below, but they were stopped higher up by a waterfall.
    In 1940 a group carrying a hemp rope and relying on a classical abseil (I've done it, it's not much fun) descended the complete canyon. It didn't spark a rush straight away, but over the next 20 years a number of canyons were explored, before canyoning finally started growing in the early 60's.
    Despite that history, and the fact that it is quite accessible, I'd never managed to visit this canyon. Partly it is because it doesn't have the longest constriction, yet it requires a long day and a physically demanding exit.
    In the end we were all totally blown away by the canyon. It might not be the longest or narrowest canyon around, but some of the constriction is spectacular. I was particularly amazed by the massive, cathedral-like chamber in it, where the roof closes almost entirely overhead. I can see why this canyon inspired further exploration!
    Anyway, I've written a full report of our trip last weekend here: http://fatcanyoners.org/2013/03/18/arethusa-and-alpheus/
    And here are some photos to inspire people to make a visit to Australia...

arethusa1.
    In the cathedral like section of the main constriction​
    arethusa2.
    Sunbeams streaming through the narrow slot above​
    arethusa3.
    Abseiling down through a pothole into the main constriction​
    arethusa4.
    The canyon opens out into the impressive sandstone gorge of the Grose Valley​
    Featured Image for the Homepage​
    slide.
    Kevin, Jenny, Blake Merrell and 7 others like this.
  2. JamesM

JamesM

That cathedral pic. Is great!!!
    Fat Canyoner likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick ---

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
    Fat Canyoner likes this.
  4. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

this light is just awesome

[​IMG]