Send us a suggestion!

UT: Moab Arches NP, Tierdrop Canyon – A Little Gem

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Kuenn, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Kuenn

Kuenn

Tierdrop Canyon – like homemade ice-cream on a Sunday afternoon, requires very little planning, easy to make, and quite enjoyable. Breathtaking scenery being the delightful topping.

This was actually my first introduction to canyoneering back in 2009. In preparation, we read the available beta, inquired at the visitor center concerning permission, then geared up and set out.

Collectively, the original group of four possessed a wide range of vertical experience; but this would mark our maiden voyage into the world of canyons. It would be dishonest to say there wasn't a tad bit of apprehensiveness. Having done our share of pull-down caving, we knew once the rope hit the ground at the bottom of the first rap, it was total commitment from then on.

As a traditional slot canyon (if there is such an animal), Tierdrop maybe doesn't fully stack up compared to others; it's wide open with lots of sky. The canyon features natural anchor rig points, offers three rappels, the last one being the longest; free hanging, coming in around 100 feet. Two to three hours at a leisure pace and best done early morning or later in the afternoon, when it's hot out.

Some say the first is always the best. Well, I suppose that is debatable, but it certainly is memorable, and does occupy a special place in the chronicles of experience. So much so that we have always found time to sneak this little gem in every time we visit Moab.

Below is a compilation of pictures from trips over the years, including that unforgettable first one.

The approach DSC01906.JPG

DSC00349.JPG

DSC01920.JPG

Signature view of Tierdrop
    IMG_1125.JPG

First rappel
    DSC01941.JPG
    Second Rappel
    IMG_1130.JPG

Last rappel DSC01992.JPG

DSC02008.JPG
    Breathtaking scenery!
    DSC02032.JPG
    IMG_1122.JPG
    Park Avenue - exit trail
    DSC00586.JPG

Attached Files:

• slide.
      Filename:
      slide.jpg
      File size:
      118.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  2. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

THE SKY IN THE 1ST PIC IS SO BLUE, IT ALMOST LOOKS FAKE !

(sorry, had cops lock on.. too lazy to re-type)
  3. Kuenn

Kuenn

Agree, but no camera magic here.

I have observed that extreme temperatures, cold or hot, tend to bring out the color in the sky on a clear day (or at least it did on this day).

That picture was from last July, so you can guess to which extreme it was trending.
  4. Moab Mark

Moab Mark

Haven't been in years, what anchor is being used on the second rappel? Willey Coyote rock or small wind arch?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  5. Kuenn

Kuenn

The first and second rappels are from cairn anchors. The small wind arch is still there (not broken) and was not slung, but we wouldn't have used it anyway. The geometry there is so good that the anchor doesn't really need to be that hefty, IMHO

The last rap anchor hasn't changed over the years...still the same BFR.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014