Send us a suggestion!

Any Recent Trips to Eardley? Water Levels?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derrick Snider, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Derrick Snider

Derrick Snider Avid Landscape Photo Ninja

Amy K, I will message you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

What exactly made you believe that it was short?
    Was it the hand drawn map that threw you off?
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

NO! The shortcut route (either side) are what I was talking about, and they both SUCK big time. Steep, loose, dangerous, exposed to the sun kinda suck big time. NO! Go elsewhere.

T
    yetigonecrazy1 likes this.
  4. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1 yeti in the jungle

@miller.alice.d You are a trooper if you started at Reid Nielsen and walked all the way down to the Upper Eardley narrows!

When we are in that area we usually visit Reid Nielsen first, walk about a kilometer down and then back, and then drive to the access BELOW Cliff Dweller Flat, and drop into Upper Eardley through the unnamed canyon between Red Draw and Hyde Draw. Like 2 km of walking, two option rappels that can be bypassed easily. The nice narrows in Upper Eardley is only 2 km or so downcanyon.

My hat is off to you, I am impressed.

EDIT: I, too, am a big fan of Reid Nielsen Canyon. For how easy it is to get to and get into, it is a lot of fun in there. Every time I have been in there there has been some nice pools (seems to hold water....) and there is a good amount of fun scrambling and downclimbing. I think its a highly over-looked and under-rated canyon!

UpperEard2.
    miller.alice.d likes this.
  5. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Tom, I think you're talking about a different "shortcut". There is no short cut on either side; those are the "old" routes. This isn't the way you came in. Those are the long ways in from the bottom and as you say they are hot, plus have lots of elevation gain. The shortcut Shane was referring to only climbs a few hundred feet up the slope before dropping into the technical section. It takes about 30 minutes from the mouth of the canyon to the drop in.

[​IMG]

The shortcut is a "new" route in, pioneered a couple years ago in order to eliminate all the elevation gain and the nasty gully descent. It's much shorter, and a good way in for experienced canyoneers, but I suggested extra care (maybe I should have said extreme caution) for beginners because it is exposed and requires careful routefinding.

You don't want to get off route on that one. Beginners should use extreme caution. That's why I didn't bring the route up until Shane did. Personally, I don't think it is beginner friendly. For beginners, I'd suggest one of those other canyons mentioned (though I still think North Wash will be unpleasantly hot).

Anyway, since someone mentioned Reid Nelson Draw, I will say that at least a few weeks ago it was completely full and FLOWING. I would think that there's still a fair amount of water, so it would be a good beginner friendly, but not technical canyon. Here's what it was like a few weeks ago.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  6. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

That shortcut route was the scene of a death earlier this year. I've only done it once, and it is very exposed for most of the way down. I felt like there wasn't anything terribly difficult for an experienced canyoneer, but it is unforgiving of mistakes. The other 3 that I was with were not comfortable to say the least.
    darhawk and Bill like this.
  7. miller.alice.d

miller.alice.d

Ha, yes it was a full day! Back in June, I hiked it on my last day in Utah and I really wanted to make it count. I wasn't disappointed! Thanks for sharing the route below Cliff-Dweller, I'll have to try that next time!

Oh I didn't say I thought it'd be short; I was wise to Kelsey's game by then. ;) If he's not misreporting his time on this one, I'm truly astonished.
  8. miller.alice.d

miller.alice.d

Holy cow! Crazy how much these conditions change.