Send us a suggestion!

Any Recent Trips to Eardley? Water Levels?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derrick Snider, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Derrick Snider

Derrick Snider Avid Landscape Photo Ninja

I am planning to take my fiancé through Eardley on Saturday and was wondering if anyone has been through real recently and has an idea of what the water levels are therein?

Looks like a slight chance of storms in the area tomorrow (which may derail my Zero G plans for tomorrow) and/but might make Eardley a little more fun on Saturday...

Anyways, just curious... I will also peruse the text trip reports, but I didn't remember seeing any very recent reports from there off the top of my head..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Really? What, you want her to hate you?

What an awful canyon... well, the approach. The Canyon is just OK. The overall experience - Just awful. Especially in the heat.

Drive an hour to North Wash. Do Morocco and Hogwarts. So much better!!!

Tom
  3. Derrick Snider

Oh really? Lol ok

4. Derrick Snider

She's only done a few short rappels and one 62' rappel in a waterfall in Ouray.. would those canyons be ok do you think?

5. Derrick Snider

Hogwarts looks awesome, but I only have 120' of rope, AND I don't think she will want to do those rappels until we take our three day curse through Uber at the end of Sept... Will look at Morocco too though

6. ratagonia

ratagonia

So much better than (yuck) Eardley.

They are "easy" canyons, but they do require some amount of anchor savvy. Of course, going ANYWHERE other than Zion generally requires some amount of anchor savvy. But those two canyons in North Wash are mostly rappels, maybe a bit of swimming (if the storms have hit there), and not very much squeezing and climbing (though a little bit). EZ approaches. EZer exits.

Might also consider Blarney (west fork).

T
  7. Derrick Snider

Ok thanks

8. Derrick Snider

I think she would be fine but she's pretty nervous still.. I was looking at Eardley as the rappels are very small and she could get used to rappelling into some water holes etc...

9. ratagonia

ratagonia

Yeah. You two should take a class (check!).

Morocco might suit you. Short rappels. But, not sure the 120' er would work. Gets done a lot so...

Yeah. You two should take a class (check!).

It is just that the approach on Eardley is horrendous. Especially in the heat. The canyon is mediocre at best. The anchors (likely) totally messed up. I did that canyon twice in like 2000/2001 timeframe, haven't even considered going back. If you want to drive less, I'd recommend the ding-dang loop or ??? Yes, Zero G is a fun canyon. Eardley - not so much. And there is not much up in that end of the world. AND, generally, wandering around without a good skill set is not that smart of an idea.

Tom
    yetigonecrazy1 likes this.
  10. Derrick Snider

She's taken a day course with Canyoning Colorado and we did Portland Creek together there.. I am taking her to do a 3-day course through uber on Sept 29th as well... we were planning to go into Eardley go very early due to the heat issue however... I've got plenty of webbing, quick links, pull cord etc for anchoring too, but only a 120' rope and a shortie 30' one right now... Still planning to do Zero G tomorrow with a buddy of mine too, but now weather is looking like it could hinder that plan.. Although morning until around 2 still looks decent so hoping that plan works out for us.. Have some backups in mind in case of storms though... Will look at ding dang too... I wish Zion wasn't such a trek from Grand Junction... not too far if you have a few days, but we really only have Saturday and maybe Sunday morning before we have to hear back home

ratagonia likes this.
  11. miller.alice.d

miller.alice.d

Jeez Tom, what'd the Swell ever do to you? Shoot your dog? Steal your girl? (kidding :D )

[I thought the upper, non-technical portion of Eardley was quite nice, even if the approach is much, -much- longer than the infamous Mr. K would have you believe.]
  12. ratagonia

ratagonia

Did you come down the side to the top of the rappels? Sounds like you went in further up the canyon, which could make it pleasant (though still broiling hot).

T
  13. miller.alice.d

miller.alice.d

Yeah, I did a long out-and-back starting from Temple Mountain Rd:
    Upper Eardley.

So, this is quite different than the Lower Eardley Technical route, where folks come up from the other side of the Reef (I turned back before any of that).

Totally non-technical, although I did have a full swim in Nielsen (which is where I learned to fear cold canyon water!) and there are some fun bouldering problems in Crawford Draw (the middle between Nielsen and Eardley).

I have a soft spot for the Swell, and I thought this was a lovely hike with some fun PG bouldering. But, Derrick, it sounds like you and the Mrs are looking for a technical adventure on the ropes -- this route definitely isn't it. I've heard from at least three sources that the usual approach to Lower Eardley is a real bear. :D
    darhawk and ratagonia like this.
  14. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Lower eardley is not bad if you do the shortcut entry, but it isn't exactly beginner friendly so save it till you have more experience. Also even the shortcut would kind of suck in the heat.
    darhawk and ratagonia like this.
  15. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

You can actually drive to near the drop in of the technical part of Eardly, but it's a pretty long car shuttle and the road is rough. We only did it this way because we didn't want to climb that slope in the heat.

Anyway, North Wash is going to be really hot too.

If you don't want to drive too far from Grand Junction, I'd recommend Crescent Creek, Green Pools, or even Professor Creek (watch that last anchor though) in summer. White Canyon isn't that long of a drive from GJ. Fry or Short are pretty beginner friendly.
    ratagonia and Derrick Snider like this.
  16. Derrick Snider

Hmmm ok, I haven't heard of those.. will look into them and I'm TRYING to talk her into doing Hogwarts... I'm picking up pull cord today in case we opt for that lol... thanks for all of the suggestions everyone... I have to say this site is incredibly informative, and everyone is "uber friendly and helpful" ... I am LOVIN IT!

17. Iceaxe

Iceaxe

I might be in the minority, but I like Eardley. If you use the short cut it eliminates 2 or 3 hours of the crappy hiking.

Here is the beta, including the short cut:
    http://climb-utah.com/SRS/eardley.htm
    darhawk and Jman like this.
  18. Derrick Snider

Oh THAT MUCH??? I thought it only eliminated like a half hour?? Wow.. ok man.. I will look closer into the shortcut

19. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

The shortcut route is good, but if you are both beginners, take extra care not to get off route. There is some routefinding and exposure.
    darhawk, Jman and Derrick Snider like this.
  20. Amy K

Amy K

I agree with Ratagonia about those Northwash canyons. Morroco, Hogwarts, and East Lep in Northwash were my first canyons in a weekend when I moved here (after the guided trip I took in Zion when I vacationed here first). I'd say those, along with West Blarney, are really beginner friendly. I thought West Blarney and East Lep were super pretty, nice lighting, no ridiculous squeezing, easy rappel starts. I'll be in Northwash this weekend actually, taking a friend from out of town for some canyons.
    Derrick Snider likes this.