Send us a suggestion!

Another Blue John Incident

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Landon, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Landon

Landon Guest

2. gbrandthart

gbrandthart Guest

Trib article here:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52614289-78/richards-nps-canyon-leg.html.csp

or,

Hiker crawls to rescuers near Utah canyon immortalized by `127 Hours'

By bob mims

The Salt Lake Tribune Published: September 20, 2011 12:56PM Updated: September 20, 2011 01:06PM

The same remote, rugged southeastern Utah canyon where a trapped climber's decision to amputate his own arm inspired the movie "127 Hours" has produced yet another survival hero, the National Park Service says.

This time it was 64-year-old Amos Richards' courage and wits that saved him from what otherwise could have been certain death, the NPS says. The Concord, N. C., man crawled through the sizzling desert landscape for four days and three nights after breaking his leg before rescuers found him on Sept. 12.

A helicopter search team located Richards in Little Blue John Canyon, a short distance from where Aron Ralston was forced to cut off his own arm with a pocket knife after being trapped by a falling boulder in a May 2003 rock climbing accident.

NPS reported that in addition to his leg fractures, Richards suffered internal injuries and dehydration from his painful sojourn.

Richards had fallen about 10 feet, breaking his right leg. He was attempting to get back to where he had parked his car near the Willow Flat Campground. The effort stretched into days, however, with Richards enduring cold desert nights without warm clothing. He did have five liters of water and two power bars with him, but no map — and he had not told anyone where he had planned to hike, the NPS said.

The area where Richards was hiking, known as "The Maze," is considered one of the most challenging in the vicinity of Canyonlands National Park.

The search had begun when park rangers discovered Richard's abandoned campsite several days after he had left on his hike.

Richards, who was taken to Moab Regional Hospital, had been released and returned home as of Tuesday. NPS officials said he was expected to make a full recovery.

remims@sltrib.com

Brandt

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Landon" <utah_boarder2000@...> wrote:
    Here's something I came across this morning. I hope it isn't old news, but I haven't seen anything on the group yet about it.
    http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2011/09/against-all-odds-rangers-find-injured-man-crawling-across-desert-canyonlands-national-park8781
    > Glad to hear he made it out alive. Sounds pretty crazy, crawling for 4 days and 3 nights. >
  3. Mark Rosen

Mark Rosen Guest

This is fascinating. The guy starts out in Willow Flat Campground which is in the Island in the Sky. He made is way off the plateau, down to the river, crosses the river, up out of the river gorge, and then crawls through the Maze, right by the Hans flat ranger station, up by Blue John Canyon where Aron Ralston got hurt on BLM land and then makes his way back. All while crawling with a fractured leg. Either this is the worlds toughest and most foolish guy or the reporter didn't bother to get out a map and think things through. Or perhaps when the author states "a short distance from where Aron Ralston was forced to cut off his own arm" he was thinking on a global scale. So what if one would have to drive 100 miles to get from one place to the other.

Another interesting side note. The latest National Geographic has an article about canyoneering in Australia. On one of the maps it has the location of a "Ralstone." I got a good chuckle out of that one! I thought that Ram coined that word. Now it is accepted around the world.
  4. RAM

RAM Guest

Crazy stuff http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/26/amos-wayne-richards-127-hours_n_980717.html?ncid=webmail5

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Mark Rosen" <rosenmarka@...> wrote:
    > This is fascinating. The guy starts out in Willow Flat Campground which is in the Island in the Sky. He made is way off the plateau, down to the river, crosses the river, up out of the river gorge, and then crawls through the Maze, right by the Hans flat ranger station, up by Blue John Canyon where Aron Ralston got hurt on BLM land and then makes his way back. All while crawling with a fractured leg. Either this is the worlds toughest and most foolish guy or the reporter didn't bother to get out a map and think things through. Or perhaps when the author states "a short distance from where Aron Ralston was forced to cut off his own arm" he was thinking on a global scale. So what if one would have to drive 100 miles to get from one place to the other.
    Another interesting side note. The latest National Geographic has an article about canyoneering in Australia. On one of the maps it has the location of a "Ralstone." I got a good chuckle out of that one! I thought that Ram coined that word. Now it is accepted around the world. >