Send us a suggestion!

News Anchor work in Boundary Canyon (next to Zion NP)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ratagonia, Aug 9, 2020.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

Boundary R2 Anchor before.

Boundary R2 Anchor After.

I placed two new bolts for R2 (when going down the watercourse) on the vertical wall on the right, looking down canyon. Bolts are Powers Stainless Steel 1/2" x 2-3/4" sleeve bolts.

I placed one bolt for the fourth rappel. This rappel tends to be anchored back a step with the rope or sling over a fin (= grooves). On this day it was anchored off a sling around a rock back 15 feet from the edge, and running right down the watercourse. I have gotten the rope stuck here a couple times in the slots of the watercourse. The new anchor location is above and out over the drop for an easy start and easy pull even when running with water. (I would have placed a second bolt here if the second one could have been found. It was in the pocket of a member of our party that had it downcanyon and forgotten about it).

Several of the other rappels are anchored off bolts from a Loooooong time ago. It is probably time to re-bolt this canyon with modern hardware.

Tom
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020