Send us a suggestion!

Anchor Measurement Techniques

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by clangingsymbol01, Apr 16, 2017.

1. clangingsymbol01

clangingsymbol01

What is the best method to measure out the correct length of webbing to cut for an anchor without being wasteful of your webbing?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
  2. gajslk

gajslk

Tie it before you cut it.

Gordon
  3. MrAdam

MrAdam

Use a Frost Knot. Then you only use exactly what you need for the anchor and can cut the excess after the knot is already tied.
    Southern Canyoneer likes this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

Experience.

Which means, you try a bunch of times, and sometimes will be a bit short and have to tie on another piece, and sometimes a bit long and cut off a short piece to discard later. Eventually, you will get the right length most of the time.

Or, you can tie whatever knot works for you first, and cut the webbing to length second. I often mock-up tying the knot, then cut to correct length.

When determining the length, please leave a little extra, as the webbing tends to shrink somewhat with weathering. Out in the canyon world, I have noticed that many anchor webbings are "just too short"; maybe people just are not very good at getting the ring over the edge, but my "assume good faith and competence" muscle wants to attribute it shrinkage.

Tom
  5. Kuenn

Kuenn

To me it's as simple as knowing the amount of excess webbing your knot of choice requires. Set the sling (or single strand) to length without the knot and then add the required knot length, plus a little for the tails.

When using a sling anchor I will sometimes tie a figure-8 on a bight near the anchor, for safety-ing in purposes. It's also serves as a fast way to shorten a slightly too long anchor (uses ~6" of 1" webbing). YMMV
    gajslk and clangingsymbol01 like this.
  6. Southern Canyoneer

Southern Canyoneer Desert Hiker

Not a perfect science. Comes with years of experience and tying knot after knot after knot in different scenarios. You'll become more proficient the more you do it in different circumstances.

I still work on this skill so as not to waste excess webbing.
  7. 2065toyota

2065toyota

And this is because it is .35 per foot. Don't think I have every really worried about.

In fact, after doing over 150 canyons, I think I've only ever bought maybe 50'. There is plenty of extra and unnecessary webbing to gather up along the way to use.
    Dave Melton likes this.
  8. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Depends on the type of canyons you do, Trade routes this tends to be true, but once you move on to harder canyons that don't get done often you start using a little more. If you start doing class C canyons, I've used 100' of webbing in one trip when it was early season and we were the first ones that year.
  9. ratagonia

ratagonia

Wait. I thought you were a New Schooler. You leave webbing?

(wink wink)

Tom
    Tom Collins likes this.
  10. 2065toyota

2065toyota

For sure, there are always exceptions. But as a general rule, doing a couple of "trade" canyons, which that's a pretty hard term to define, you can supply a lot of "non trade".

As for the original post, after you do a few you can guess pretty close to how much you need and like Tom says, more is generally better than less.