Send us a suggestion!

Anatomy of a Search and Rescue: The Choprock Canyon Incident

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Rich Carlson, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Rich Carlson

Rich Carlson Guest

Added to the Canyoneering Conference program:

Chief Ron Harris, Tropic Fire and Rescue, will deliver a presentation on the SAR operation in Choprock Canyon involving two BYU students. Scheduled Thursday afternoon, October 5th.

http://www.canyoneering.net/conference
  2. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Rich Carlson" <rcwild@...> wrote:
    Chief Ron Harris, Tropic Fire and Rescue, will deliver a presentation > on the SAR operation in Choprock Canyon involving two BYU students. > Scheduled Thursday afternoon, October 5th.

I would love to see this. I know that Bill W., Escalante ranger was on the scene and shared some photos. I was at that spot just last week in what was likely similar high water conditions (remember the tough climb up, Bruce?). How is the regions SAR organized? Thru Tropic Fire? Thru the NPS? Does it matter if problems occur in the Staircase or the Glen canyon Rec? Is county boundaries important. More than one group? Do they pool resourses? Do they have a lot of high angle rescue capabilitiy? Dean, Bo?... R
  3. Tropic Fire was the closest SAR team to the incident and I believe that they were first called out because of their proximity to GSENM and that it is in Garfield Country. This was a coordinated effort with county, state and NPS units.

Tropic Fire was assigned the task of rigging the lowering and raising system which they had to move on four separate occasions to make it the easiesr for the searches to extract the bodies. I know more but will let Ron do his presentation.

bruce from bryce

P.S. The Bryce Canyon Sturctural Fire Brigade, of which I am a member, was called out this morning for extrication of persons from a 2-car MVA at the junction of Hwy 12 and 63 (going into the park). 45 minutes later we had two carryouts for people who had broken their legs on trails in the park. Meanwhile at the junction of Hwy 89 and Rt 12 there was a motorcyle accident and furthermore there was a major rollover on Hwy 20 north of Panguitch. Do you think the resources in this county were stretched thin?

P.S. Yes Ram that was a tough place to attempt to climb out, even if one was in good physical shape and warm.

>From: "adkramoo" adkramoo@aol.com
    Reply-To: Yahoo Canyons Group
    To: Yahoo Canyons Group
    Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Anatomy of a Search and Rescue: The >Choprock Canyon Incident >Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:00:13 -0000
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Rich Carlson" <rcwild@...> wrote:

Chief Ron Harris, Tropic Fire and Rescue, will deliver a presentation
    on the SAR operation in Choprock Canyon involving two BYU students.
    Scheduled Thursday afternoon, October 5th.

>I would love to see this. I know that Bill W., Escalante ranger was on >the scene and shared some photos. I was at that spot just last week in >what was likely similar high water conditions (remember the tough >climb up, Bruce?). How is the regions SAR organized? Thru Tropic Fire? >Thru the NPS? Does it matter if problems occur in the Staircase or the >Glen canyon Rec? Is county boundaries important. More than one group? >Do they pool resourses? Do they have a lot of high angle rescue >capabilitiy? Dean, Bo?... >R