Send us a suggestion!

Anatomy of a Search and Rescue: The Choprock Canyon Inc

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Rich Carlson, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Rich Carlson

Rich Carlson Guest

From the blurb we received regarding Ron's presentation for the conference:

"Ron was assigned the role of team leader for the High Angle/Ropes Rescue team from Tropic Fire and Rescue. In addition, he was the top EMS person involved in the recovery. Ron coordinated the recovery with National Park Service personnel who were with the High Angle team staged at Choprock. He made the assignments to the team and approved the raising and lowering systems that were employed in the recovery. Throughout the operations, he was the key contact between Incident Command and the recovery team."

NOTE: A few people have contacted me to ask if they could attend this presentation without registering for the conference. Conference registrations are handled by SUU and it is my understanding that the only program open to non conference attendees is the premier of Jon Smith's "Canyoneering the Colorado Plateau" video on Wednesday evening.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "bruce silliman" <weabruce@...> wrote:
    Tropic Fire was the closest SAR team to the incident and I believe that they > were first called out because of their proximity to GSENM and that it is in > Garfield Country. This was a coordinated effort with county, state and NPS > units.
    Tropic Fire was assigned the task of rigging the lowering and raising system > which they had to move on four separate occasions to make it the easiesr for > the searches to extract the bodies. I know more but will let Ron do his > presentation.
    bruce from bryce