Send us a suggestion!

Analysis: Death in Robbers Roost (2011 - No Man's Canyon)

Discussion in 'Accidents and Near Misses' started by ratagonia, Apr 12, 2019.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

I think enough time has passed that this accident can be analyzed. But let us do it here, on a separate thread.

Much about the accident is available here: http://canyoncollective.com/threads/a-death-in-robbers-roost-2011-no-mans-canyon.25728/

Tom
  2. Craig

Craig Feeling My Way

I watched a video of David Cicotello where he describes for an audience his relationship with his brother and details the events of the tragedy and how he survived long enough to be rescued.
    https://www.tennessean.com/videos/l...urvived-utah-slot-canyon-six-days/2779947002/

In the video, he says Louis said, "It goes fast" ... "Oops, the rope is short". Then a few seconds later the rope "zipped" through the ring and all was gone.

Maybe there is no way to ever know what mistake was made.

Craig
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

This is a good example of where there is likely no way to know exactly what happened. As in many accidents. I'm not looking to entertain speculation. But there are a few things that could be said.

1. When unable to see the bottom of the rappel, setting the rope up by doubling it through the ring and hoping both ends reach is not a reliable method. Better to just anchor one end and drop the rope to the ground, then adjust the length for the second person. (Note: not a flowing-canyon method).

2. Perhaps they trusted the beta to accurately tell them how long the rappel was. This is also not a reliable method.

Tom
    darhawk likes this.