Send us a suggestion!

American Canyoneers IBOD minutes

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by RAM, Feb 2, 2012.

1. RAM

RAM Guest

Here are the minutes from the most recent meeting:

http://www.americancanyoneers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51&sid=f7b058ab85b98a6ee221c4336d83a7ed

IBOD Minutes Jan 23, 2012 All were present. Here are the discussion topics for tonight, target meeting length 60 minutes 1. Vote for BOD time frame 2. Bylaws developments 3. Membership 4. Access 5. Accident board 6. Forum 7. Open items

1. Vote for BOD time frame: The question was asked, what should be accomplished before electing a BOD? Minimum accomplishments (many that have been accomplished) should include expressing mission, vision, and goals and objectives. Also completing the process of filing legal papers and establishing the legal structures of the organization. The question was asked who votes on the BOD? The bylaws are being written that voting is restricted to members, and so that means that we have to do a membership push before a BOD vote can occur…unless we want to set this up differently. Agreement is that the bylaws should not be set up differently for the purpose of electing a first BOD—they should be set up for the long term purpose of the group, which needs to be supported and driven by its membership. Suggestion was made that we should set milestones, or triggers, for when the vote will occur, and we should make this crystal clear to the community. Suggestion was made that the trigger be a certain quantity of membership. Suggestion was made that the membership trigger number be similar to the number of people who voted on the IBOD (71). Membership vote "trigger" number set at 75. Suggestion was made that we should have some sort of safety net—in case it is taking a long time to reach the 75 member number. Suggestion was made that a "trigger" date be set. Membership vote "trigger" date set at May 1 to begin the nomination process with a June 1 vote. Thus, the first BOD election process will be initiated immediately when the first of the two conditions is met: no later than May 1, 2012, or no fewer than 75 members. Nomination process will last for a period of one month, with voting to open exactly one month after the "trigger" condition is met.

2. Bylaws developments: We are consulting with people on this right now. Will know more within two weeks. At that time Sonny will have reviewed the remaining legal documents that need to be filed and will have a plan for dividing and accomplishing the work on these.

3. Membership: Travis decided to start the discussion on this by posting info on the forum. Favor is for offering different rates for individual, student and senior, and family members. Memberships will come with discounts. The membership system will be ready to go soon, with the idea that membership will build concurrent with completion of paperwork and completing other foundational work for the group, and so there will be a membership in existence of the time of the first vote.

4. Access: Ram and Tom have been asked to put a list of canyons with access issues on the site, but there has been some delay with this. Question was asked: would it be better to start by identifying a "ten most wanted" list of canyons with access issues/threats of impending access issues in the near future that should be the focus of initial efforts. Suggestion was made that there is no reason this can't be done at the same time as compiling a comprehensive list of canyons with issues. Suggestion was made that this would be most useful if it was set up to be interactive (similar to the Canditions website), allowing members to provide updates on the access issues. The Canditions website owner has expressed willingness to set up/share a site for doing this. The top ten list will allow for a focus of efforts.

5. Accident board: Malia and Troy posted a first draft of a survey on the forum for discussion. Triggered some good feedback and discussion. Steve Kugath will be doing a survey soon, and this effort will help to provide background information on accidents and near misses, as well as to help develop an effective accident reporting process. A second draft of the survey, and application of the second draft to a "test-case" are the next steps that will occur.

6. Forum: The goal is to get AC-related posts and discussion on the AC site. When IBOD members notice an AC related discussion on another site, there should be an effort to encourage that the discussion move to the AC site, including a link to the appropriate thread. This way we can facilitate a more "complete conversation" that is not taken out of context, and includes easier access to the relevant and necessary information. The challenge is to get people out of their comfort-zone on the sites where they are used to posting, and to get them to feel comfortable posting on the AC group. Suggestion is that if we continue to develop it to be more user friendly this will help facilitate the process of increasing discussion and activity on the AC site. Suggestions for doing this are welcomed. For now, IBOD members will encourage people to have their AC related conversations on the AC site and will attempt to make it easier by providing links from other posts to the related threads on the AC site. Question was asked, should we post the bylaws on the AC site. Agreement that yes, they should be posted. This organization needs to be transparent, and be something that anyone can access should they have an interest. Question was asked, should a lawyer's services be sought out for overlooking legal documents. Agreement is that it would be prudent in order to avoid the cost of fixing problems that would result from error, as well as just to ensure we start off on the right footing. There will be an attempt to search for an appropriately qualified person to fill this role on a pro-bono or discounted basis.

7. Open items: Coming up with a logo: not much accomplished. Bo has a connection that he will use. Open for suggestions… Next meeting: Wed, Feb. 15, 2012 at 8pm MST.

Malia
  2. Jenny

Jenny Guest

Great minutes, Malia!

It is inspiring to see the progress made and the plans for the future direction of the fledgling American Canyoneers. My deepest thanks to all the iBod; Malia, Bo, Rich, Wolfgang, and Sonny. 'Lots of work too from Troy and Travis, and others I have missed, I'm sure. You are all very busy in your personal lives and very active in the canyons and adventure. I know you all have rich and very full lives! But you still make time and find the energy to volunteer your efforts. The minutes speak clearly of your commitment to create something that has been carefully crafted to benefit us all. In all sincerity (although I sound a bit like a cheer leader); I KNOW that I am not alone in my gratitude. So often, folks rant, rave and scream out in protest to a notion. The air is thick with it in many current arenas. Conversely, too seldom, folks fail to speak out when something really good is happening. I was taught that it is good manners to say "Thank you for your gift". Even better write a Thank You note.

Thank you for your gift. Jenny

> Here are the minutes from the most recent meeting:
    http://www.americancanyoneers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51&sid=f7b058ab85b98a6ee221c4336d83a7ed

-
  3. Wayne Burns

Wayne Burns Guest

Very well said Jenny! Malia, Bo, Rich, Wolfgang & Sonny, thanks you for your gift! Wayne Burns

To: Yahoo Canyons Group From: jenny.carverbc@gmail.com Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 05:35:22 +0000 Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: American Canyoneers IBOD minutes

Great minutes, Malia!

It is inspiring to see the progress made and the plans for the future direction of the fledgling American Canyoneers. My deepest thanks to all the iBod; Malia, Bo, Rich, Wolfgang, and Sonny. 'Lots of work too from Troy and Travis, and others I have missed, I'm sure. You are all very busy in your personal lives and very active in the canyons and adventure. I know you all have rich and very full lives! But you still make time and find the energy to volunteer your efforts. The minutes speak clearly of your commitment to create something that has been carefully crafted to benefit us all. In all sincerity (although I sound a bit like a cheer leader); I KNOW that I am not alone in my gratitude. So often, folks rant, rave and scream out in protest to a notion. The air is thick with it in many current arenas. Conversely, too seldom, folks fail to speak out when something really good is happening. I was taught that it is good manners to say "Thank you for your gift". Even better write a Thank You note.

Thank you for your gift.

Jenny

> Here are the minutes from the most recent meeting:

>

> http://www.americancanyoneers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51&sid=f7b058ab85b98a6ee221c4336d83a7ed

-