Send us a suggestion!

Alternatives to Petzl Connect

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by skunkteeth, Feb 14, 2017.

1. skunkteeth

skunkteeth

When I first saw the Petzl connect lanyard, I thought it was pretty cool. I have always used a purcell prussik as my safety tether, but it is pretty bulky.

Instead of buying more gear though, why not use a short section of dynamic rope with my micro traxion to simulate a connect? It would be a nice way to clean up my harness.

When ascending, I would have to take the traxion off the lanyard and place it on my belay loop. I could then tie a bight in the lanyard to connect it to my tibloc for a connection to my foot loop ascendor.

Any thoughts? Ditch the adjustable lanyard altogether?
  2. Rapterman

Rapterman

Hi Skunkteeth
    Have not figured out the perfect lanyard...
    But would NOT use rope in a traxion (or any ascender) to simulate a connect.
    Ascenders with cams bite right thru the rope at about 1,000- 1,200 lbs of force.
    The connect is much stronger, yes?
    Best
    Todd
  3. skunkteeth

skunkteeth

That is a good point.

I do not see load data on the connect's data sheet. But I did see this:

"(1) For use below the anchor point: positioning lanyards do not have an energy absorber. These lanyards must only be used when the potential fall factor is less than 1."
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

Big wall climbing with hanging belays? Dicey A3 A4 A5 A5+ aid climbing on the Captain? Work positioning on a commercial rope-access job? Putting up routes under the CAVE at your local crag?

These are good reasons to have an adjustable "safety leash".

Canyoneering not so much. I know some people LOVE the GEAR!!! <3 <3 <3. I love the gear, but have never found use for a safety leash more complex than a simple 24" non-adjustable thing. Like the Clipster. When I guide, I use 2, and perhaps in difficult technical situations where rescue skills have more than a miniscule chance of being required.

Downsides of having an unnecessary bulk of complex crap hanging on the front of your harness:
    - expense (you are talking dedicating a 110$ piece of gear to make a tether?)
    - complexity - all that stuff is in your most critical working area. Putting stuff there gets in the way of seeing what you are doing, and other people seeing what you are doing.
    - time - long bulky tethers take extra time to deploy and to stow
    - snagging/entrapment - extra crap hanging off your harness has a tendency to snag on the natural environment. Sometimes with real consequences. I personally know of only one death due to this, but that is one too many. Have heard of several others.

Tom :moses: :moses: :moses:
    Rapterman likes this.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

If this "cleans up your harness", then WOW, you must have quite a mess there, and YES you should definitely work on reducing it.

You mean, at the point in time when you might need it the most, you plan on disassembling your lanyard in order to set up your ascending kit.

I think you would be much safer to have a lanyard that is ALWAYS your lanyard, not used for other purposes. That way, when you suddenly need a lanyard, you have one. Right Away.

Now you're getting it!!

http://www.store.canyoneeringusa.co...on-Gear-Clipster3/p/10914064/category=2490794

I can charge you $110.00 for that if it would make you feel better. (I'd throw in a nice carabiner for that price).

Tom :moses:

Attached Files:

• Clipster.
      Filename:
      Clipster.jpg
      File size:
      116.3 KB
      Views:
  6. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

Skunkteeth, If you really want to use such a system, a short length of dynamic rope with a simple friction hitch running on it would be much cheaper and effective solution. Particularly a hitch that can be adjusted under load like a VT.

Another sleek solution is a little device made by Kong called the Slyde (blue thing), a very simply positioning adjuster.[​IMG]

I carry a slyde that is fixed on a 12' length of 8mm technora rope, but I use it for more advanced pothole escape techniques and it isn't attached to my harness. It stays in my pack and only comes out to play in big ugly potholes.

I'm with Tom on this. Keep it simple. A single tether of ~24" pretty much has you covered. A cleaner harness is a safer harness.

My Atwood tethers:
    [​IMG]
    I can make them in any length you want for $12. I can also do technora prussiks or VT's in any length for you as well.

If you feel you need fancy tools for specific tasks, carry them by all means, but leave them in your pack until you need them.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  7. skunkteeth

skunkteeth

Thanks for the responses, those are good points. I already have the traxion so that's why I was thinking of using it.

But thinking about how much I adjust the purcell (rarely), I think I will ditch it and use plain 24 in length of dynamic rope. I will leave all the extra crap in my pack easy to get to.
    ratagonia likes this.