Send us a suggestion!

All camping is now illegal in Grand, Emery, and Carbon Counties

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Patterson, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Has anyone read the statements from the Moab Sheriff's department? All camping or staying overnight is now illegal. This includes Grand, Emery, and Carbon Counties (San Rafeal Swell, the canyons between Green River and Robbers Roost, Moab, etc.).

Overnight Lodging. Effective at 10 pm (MST) on March 17, 2020, all overnight and short-term lodging facilities (including but not limited to hotels, motels, condos, townhomes, guest homes, RV parks, and all camping on public or private lands) within Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties may only check-in, rent, or lease to Essential Visitors and Primary Residents. Essential Visitors and Primary Residents may utilize public lands for primitive camping purposes. No camp shall be located within 200 yards of another camp and no camp shall consist of more than IO people. An Essential Visitor is any individual renting lodging or camping for an amount of time less than 30 days for the purposes of work within Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties, or for an employer within the boundaries of Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties, and their spouse and dependents. Primary Residents are any individuals renting lodging for periods of 30 days or greater or whose primary address is within one of the counties.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are saying that violaters can be put in jail.

https://moabcity.org/551/COVID-19-Information-and-Updates?fbclid=IwAR2DoGCOdX73K7I9SOgyL7gjph3R-2BS8zQNSGUujnYMKCi26F0SGJMNNJc

I asked if this includes backpacking far away from roads and other people and they say yes.

moa.JPG
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  2. gajslk

gajslk

Wow. Seems like a bit of an overreaction. Outdoors in the sun is the safest place you can be.
    Dan H likes this.
  3. Dan H

Dan H FNG

This seems overkill. If I go out to the desert to escape I will only be increasing my social distance by a factor of 100. The closest I come to other people is the gas pump. I pay at the pump and use sanitizer both before and after. Why does the hotel industry in Moab get to shut down the San Rafael desert, reef, and swell?
    NM Ben and Craigcrow like this.
  4. UtahNich

UtahNich

I suspect it's because Moab has very limited hospital services which could quickly get swamped by a number of patients, and with spring coming there will be a large number of people and some may become patients. My theory is it will make Moab "no fun" and so keep that influx of large numbers away. Not to mention, I've heard that a lot of people let their social distancing relax when they're on holiday.

But I agree with you, being out alone in the desert does seem an excellent way to keep your distance. It's a real bummer about the Swell - that's a much lower use area.
    Nan likes this.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

6. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1

I think this is also meant to try and lower the need for emergency and rescue services to be utilized in the three counties.
    Dan H and Dan Ransom like this.
  7. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

I understand why the restictions are in place, but the ban on backpacking in remote areas does seem like an overreaction. It seems like being in a remote area away from other people is one of the best ways to social distance yourself.

I was going to go on a backpacking trip east of Dewey Bridge, but will follow the restrictions even though I don't see the harm in going. (Though missing a trip is hardly a big deal in the big scheme of things).

One thing that bothers me though is that Moab and those counties are esentially banning visitation, but they aren't doing anything to keep their own residents from visiting other areas. Here in Grand Junction (the go-to shopping town for Moab), the Sams Club, Walmart, and liquor store parking lots have had many Utah plates and it's a sure bet that most of them are from Moab. If it's an emergency, that would be perfectly OK, but I doubt all those people are here for a real emergency (cheaper groceries, better selection, and a much better liquor supply are not emergencies). I don't buy any claims that say that the out of staters came and bought up all the supplies in Moab.

If those counties are going to impliment a law keeping people from travelling to their counties, then they should also impliment a law preventing the people in those same counties from leaving the counties for non-emergency situations.

As far as having the Moab hospital overrun, that is a concern, but patients for anything serious end up in the Grand Junction hospital anyway.

It seems to me that the chances of Grand Junction infecting Moab are not any greater (and are probably less) than the chances of Moab infecting Grand Junction. Since Moab is more of a tourist town than Grand Junction, it seems the chances of them infecting us are greater than the vice versa.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

"camping far from people" to most people means camping 50 feet from the road.

The rest of Utah does not have this restriction. (Jus' Sayin')
  9. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Yes. It seems like they could have said no camping within a mile of any road or something and that would keep everyone safe and allow for people to backpack for social distancing. I'll still be a good boy and follow the restriction though. This seems perfectly safe to me.

Yes, but it is a longer drive and I'd have to fill up with gas (which is apparently part of the concern with the Moab area).

Ironically, I'd actually increase my exposure to Moab by avoiding going backpacking in Grand Junction.

Here was plan A:

[​IMG]

If I went I would have avoided going to or stopping in places like Moab or Green River (or any other populated place in Utah). If I go somewhere else in Utah I'm more likely to stop in Emery, Carbon, or Grand Counties because I'd have to pass through and perhaps get gas in those counties on my way to a more distant (from my house) area of Utah.

First world problems I guess.

I just home all of this goes away soon.

Even for those who don't get infected, this is going to be hard on a lot of people.

It might be hard on our family, but for different reasons for each family member. My wife works at Chuck-E-Cheese so obviously her work is shut down. Some restaraunts are talking about offering take out, but no one is going to go for take out at Chuck-E-Cheese (that kind of defeats the purpose of going to Chuck-E-Cheese). All of my work projects have been shut down. My son is working a lot of hours because he works at a place that is doing all the dirty laundry from the hospitals and hotels from the infected areas (such as Aspen). He's worried about getting the virus (for good reason). Of course these are just minor problems compared to those who work in the tourist industry, etc.

If it takes a shut down to get this thing over more quickly, then I am for it. I am disappointed that backpacking is banned, and think that that part is an overreaction, though I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
    yetigonecrazy1 and Dan H like this.
  10. ratagonia

ratagonia

You can get gas without having a social interaction... in fact I usually do. (added: WITH GLOVES. Gloves that are then disposed of.)

" I am disappointed that backpacking is banned" - you mean, that backpacking is banned in a small area. Just to be clear.

T
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  11. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Which just happens to be the areas/counties close to my house.
  12. bnwilso

bnwilso

You can get gas without having a social interaction... in fact I usually do.

I don't think so. Imagine all of the hands that haven't been washed that have touched the selection buttons, the hose and the hand grip that dispenses the gas. Many of them from points unknown. Apparently this stuff hangs around for a while on surfaces. Best to bring some gloves I think.
  13. ratagonia

ratagonia

Correct. WITH GLOVES. Gloves that are then disposed of.

Tom
  14. Zach Olson

Zach Olson

Reading this thread from Palm Springs CA which is under a "Shelter in place" (legal curfew) order. Restrictions will likely become more strict in Utah before this is over.

Good luck out there.
    ratagonia likes this.
  15. gajslk

gajslk

UV light has long been used to sterilize things, equipment, water, you name it. It kills both bacteria and viruses. Your article says that there is no evidence that sunlight kills corona virus. It doesn't mention whether or not there is evidence that it doesn't. My guess is that there is no corona virus specific evidence, period. But even if it doesn't, outside in the fresh air away from people is still the safest place you can be. Now, Moab at spring break? I'd rather go to the dentist. One with corona virus. Who hacks and coughs in my face. :)
  16. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1

Yet.
    ratagonia likes this.