Send us a suggestion!

Airline Carry-On Canyoning Gear?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sandstoned, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Sandstoned

Sandstoned

Has anyone recently carried canyoning gear in their carry on luggage? I am speaking specifically about a 150 foot rope, harness with a few links and biners, small descending device, and webbing. Helmet has never been a problem, but the other items have always been in checked luggage. Nothing I see on FAA site says no go to these items, yet...since one could potentially tie passengers with the rope, or hit them with the biners, I am not so sure those items will fly in carry on. The airline suggested I go to FAA site. Quick google search shows many a climber has traveled with a rack in carry on (many correctly citing the fact its way too expensive to loose a rack to lost checked luggage) however no mention of rope from anyone as a carry on item.

Anyone done it lately?
  2. Ross Platt

Ross Platt

I carried a rope on a couple of years ago but not since then. I'm sure that since it does not say ropes are forbidden on the FAA site then it hasn't changed. Maybe someone else has a more recent experience than me.
  3. Kuenn

Kuenn

Had helmet and several biners last year in a carry-on. TSA xray person called for supervisor to take a look. Supervisor had no problem with, asked "are you a rock climber?" Replied, "Yes". Didn't think he was wanting a long answer.

I think it depends on the TSA personnel you happen to encounter. I had to go back and check a hardware piece a few years back, it's not something you guys would be carrying though (14" SMC rack).

So there are limits, and I probably wouldn't chance a rope in your carry-on. Although, TSA may ask, "macrame?" "No, fiddlestick!" o_O
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Jolly Green likes this.
  4. Downward Bound

Downward Bound

Had a piece of rope confiscated on an international flight a few years ago, but that was in Mexico.
  5. joeb

joeb middle aged guy who lies around alot

Just flew a few weeks ago and had some rope and hardware in my carry on bag. I forgot that I had my folding pocket knife in there as well. TSA found the knife and the guy asked if I wanted to go back and put in my checked baggage and if not they would confiscate it. Didn't want to miss my flight over a $15 knife so just gave it up. I give TSA credit for actually spotting it in a bag with about twenty other pieces of gear. They didn't care at all about all the other stuff.
  6. Phavant

Phavant

I haven't had any problems. Flew a month ago, and about 9 months ago.
  7. qedcook

qedcook

In May, I flew to and from Arizona with all my canyoneering gear without incident.
  8. Canyonero

Canyonero

I've had an entire climbing rack in a carry on before without an issue. They did look at the picture for a while I recall.
  9. Michael Eastern

Michael Eastern

I've carried on full canyoneering kit and trad rack repeatedly . I always leave 45 extra minutes for tsa questions, but otherwise no issues aside from knives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Sandstoned

Sandstoned

Thanks to all for the replies...
    So, I did in fact carry on my gear and (drum roll please) like others noted above, there was no problem whatsoever.
    What exactly was I carrying you may ask? Not too much, but just enough... to do pleiades, uturn, elephant butte, and fins and things. Had a visit in grand junction, so flew into denver drove over then on a spare day and a half, dropped down to moab area for some hiking fun. In the carry on bag was a 150 foot section of 8.3 canyon fire line, about a 65 foot section of 8mm blue water line (both of which were stuffed into an imlay rope bag), harness/descender/couple of biners and a couple of links, maybe 25 feet webbing, and a wetsuit plus some clothing. Helmet and a few other items went in a rucksack and on the plane I was. Very nice.
    Sidebar: lot of construction in Arches, and some trailheads are unavailable as is the campground...I think they were closing the Park Avenue trailhead parking area (tierdrop, not tierdrop and uturn) the following day or days. Also, while I was able to access Elephant Butte, it looked like that area was poised for temporary closure also. Not positive about either, but heads up if you are going out there for the lovely October weather.