Send us a suggestion!

News Air BnB Experiences

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ratagonia, May 26, 2018.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/05...nd-you-dont-have-to-be-a-tourist-to-go-along/

Teaser:

Want a local adventure? Airbnb Experiences have launched in Utah, and you don’t have to be a tourist to go along.

Airbnb’s Experiences program has arrived in Utah — and two weeks after the feature quietly rolled out here, the options are vast and reservations are filling up. The online platform connects travelers to “hosts” chosen by Airbnb to lead activities with a local flair.

“We’re booking like crazy, far faster than I thought that we would,” said Micah Young, a high school science teacher in Orderville who now leads canyoneering tours through Experiences.

Unsurprisingly, adventure sports account for many of the 48 Utah offerings available now. Guides are listed for mountain biking in Park City, rappelling at Provo’s Bridal Veil Falls, rafting the San Rafael River and canyoneering in Robbers Roost, among other outings.

Young had long been showing off Orderville’s canyons to Airbnb guests who rented the tiny houses and the treehouse he put up on his property for tourists. About a year ago, he said, he looked into offering formal tours — but found Airbnb had limited its Experiences feature to just a couple of dozen major cities.

2. cboswel1

cboswel1

Interesting. Wonder if anyone asks to check for BLM or SITLA land use authorization or if they are willing to bankrupt their families if someone sues for negligence in the event of an incident. I’m pretty unfamiliar with AirBnB, but it seems like people could really be putting themselves in a bad position legally speaking if they’re advertising themselves as technical guides and an incident occurred on a trip. Hopefully you can trust your host is also adept at rescue skills and not simply operating on faith.
  3. Fat Canyoner

Fat Canyoner T2

We're already seeing dubious canyon guides using the Airbnb platform (see this example: https://canyoning.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51).
    Not only do you have the legal issues for the 'guides' and the paying customers, you also have the issue that this will force a race to the bottom where commercial operators who follow the rules, abide by regulation, have proper training and equipment, are easily undercut by cowboys. And the end result of that can only be bad for the canyons.
    EvergreenDean likes this.
  4. Sandstone Addiction

Sandstone Addiction Headed South

For only $60, you too can view this "Secret Waterfall Cave"... :rofl:

Donut Falls.JPG
    Kuenn likes this.
  5. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  6. Kuenn

Kuenn

From the desert new article, "the donut-shaped hole in the rock".

So, I'm still trying to figure out how a donut-shaped hole is any different than a hole-shaped-hole....guess you have to be there. o_O
  7. Brian in SLC

I guess someone liked the ring of "Donut Falls" versus "hole falls"....ha ha.

The hole where the water flows is kinda shaped like a donut. Maybe especially after breakfast. Probably got named prior to local bagel shops' popularity...
    Kuenn likes this.
  8. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny Lagargar pockets

And here the cop comes after me cause a local guide saw me twice taking friends thru a canyon.!!!!! “Bullying by Guide service” thread.
    Sounds like there are more and bigger fish to fry.
    I had an Airbnb listing up for about 3 days until I found out about local and state tax and Needing an LLC here. Also having to get permission from the town and neighbors. I said “screw that” too much hassle.
    Maybe these experience people in Utah need to get ahold of Patrick Shea.! I hear he’s pretty good
  9. wisconnyjohnny

10. Brian in SLC

11. ratagonia

ratagonia

Lyndsey has pictures of people canyoneering. Might even be his/her own pictures. Might be people on guided trip. Might not.

T
  12. Chasetharp

Chasetharp

It is definitely funny, especially bagel rock, but what do we do to correct the issue?
  13. ratagonia

ratagonia

14. Chasetharp

Chasetharp

I will have to read that article later. I spoke to Airbnb, one of the people that manages the experiences option responded. Claimed that all hosts within the experiences have been checked out to be legal based on local law and regulations. I don’t see how that’s possibly true. Then we have people charging gear and rope fees for guiding as well. It all needs to end imo.
  15. wisconnyjohnny

https://www.followyouradventure.com/#
    Guided Escalante and Glen canyon Recently and soliciting more trips on the instagrams.! Maybe the local guide company’s need to take
    Notice of this. #minayounglee poaching